cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still having problems setting up Plus Net emails

JohnCT1
Grafter

Still having problems setting up Plus Net emails

I am using Mozilloa Thunderbird under Windows 10. i have had nemerous attempt at setting it up with no success. I accept that it is my lack of understanding. I have a hearing problem so phoning the help desk is difficult, also I would like a hard copy of any help. Sadly the chat system has not been available whenever I have tried for several days. I have tried following all the helps on plusnet's site, but cannot get any of them to work. Thick or what? what can I do next please?☹️

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Still having problems setting up Plus Net emails

@JohnCT1 A few questions before we try and help with some specifics:-

Are you trying to collect mail from your main (default) PlusNet mailbox or an additional one ?

Are you trying to use IMAP or POP to collect mail ?

Are you able to collect and send mail successfully using webmail ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JohnCT1
Grafter

Morning Mister.

Are you trying to collect mail from your main (default) PlusNet mailbox or an additional one ?  Main

Are you trying to use IMAP or POP to collect mail ? Both, but I prefer POP

Are you able to collect and send mail successfully using webmail ? Not tried it

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks.

In that case can you please try webmail before we go any further with Thunderbird. That will prove that you account is setup properly.

Login to webmail  ( webmail.plus.net ) using your account name and the password used to access the member centre.

Check that you can receive and send mail.

Post back with the results.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JohnCT1
Grafter

I have quite a fewmessages in the in box from plusnet. However wqhen I try to send I get the message:

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ive just looked it up, and that domain does not have any MX records and so any email to it WILL be rejected

Be careful what specific information such as email addresses you publish on here, it's a publically accessible forum

However the fact that you can see some messages in the mailbox does mean you account is setup.

Into see the same messages in Thunderbird use imap.plus.net ( for imap) or mail.plus.net ( for pop ) as the incoming server. Use your account name and password that you used for webmail as the username and password for the incoming server. You shouldn't need a password for the outgoing server when connecting via your broadband at home.

Let us know how that goes

JohnCT1
Grafter

I am completely befuddled. I have used Mozilla many times, I have several email addresses that is set up with no problem. when i do as you suggest it has a ry at least, but failks with plus net but fails with "Thunderbiurd failed to find settings for your email account" What should hte SMTP settings be? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It will fail to find settings automatically. You need to go into the manual setup and enter details for the incoming and outgoing servers manually

Smtp settings are relay.plus.net as the server , port 587

JohnCT1
Grafter

Again many thanks for your help MiterW, it is now receiving and sending emails, just one glitch when sending it sits for a very long time (indefinate?) sending to the "sent" folder, however the email arrives OK. That is another thing to look into.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, I've seen that. Its Thunderbird not quite getting the 'sent' folder context quite right.

Goto tools>account settings . Select the account in question and click 'copies and folders'

In the ' when sending messages....' it's probably set to place a copy in the default 'sent folder on'

Select 'other's and then in the drop down menu,  select the correct mailbox, inbox and then the sent folder.

That should change the sent folder icon and it should now work

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

For clarification, if you have configured as POP3 the sent items folder will be local to the PC.  If you use the more sensible IMAP approach, the sent items folder will be on the email server and thereby visible to all email clients (for example Webmail) connecting to the mailbox.