cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

I would like to have the facility to import address books from other mail systems. It's tiresome having to type each address separately.
Thanks.
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Quote from: madbanana
In line with others, I too would like to see dedicated buttons for spam / not spam.

So would a lot of us but unfortunately PN don't regard this as important enough within the to-do list to allocate a QA slot to check out code that's been waiting for 2 months.
Edit to add: I make it 19 requests for Spam/Not Spam buttons in this topic so far.  And there are 18 more in PUGIT Issues 201 & 155 (that aren't duplicates of those here).

I was thinking the same and raised this via PUG to PlusNet just yesterday.
AFAIK, the development work is actually complete with the bottleneck being within QA, who are super super busy right now with testing for the 20:08 (internal) project amongst other things.
We certainly will see this functionality in the near future.
stswithins
Dabbler

Hi, SM is better than IMAP and what went before.
Has anybody mentioned copy (sorry I haven't worked out how to search in the new forums)?? I like to save copies of some useful emails (airline tickets, etc) so want to move them out of inbox so my system at home doesn't delete them after a few days. But you only seem to be able to move emails between folders and not copy.
Spam/No spam button is very useful and I like the idea of a copy back to yourself when sending.
Thanks, Roger
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Paula
If you have your different "identities" set up as Mailboxes then you will have to log in seperately. If you'd like them to all arrive in a single mailbox then I suggest you use the Alias functionality.
It might help to think of Mailboxes as seperate email accounts or email logins with a default email address of the Mailbox name (e.g. the "Paula" mailbox would have a default email address of Paula@username.plus.com). You can then add aliases to each Mailbox. So the Paula Mailbox could receive emails to Paula@.. (the default) as well as Tesco@... (an Alias) and Amazon@... (an Alias) etc.
The Mailbox functionality is very useful for those that want a seperate set of email addresses for each member of the family (as an example) that are collected privately in their own Mailbox and via their own login. Aliases then allow each person to set up many other email addresses to collect using that same login.

Thanks Paula.
That's the first explanation of Plusnet Mailboxes & Aliases that I've actually understood at first read through.  I had just about worked it out for myself, but I'm pleased to have it confirmed.
My main mail is elsewhere, so I've never had to do anything on the Plusnet system, but every other explanation I've ever read made me glad I didn't have to find out how it worked!
(I must confess I haven't read the help page on the subject recently - maybe it's changed.)
Well written. Thanks
Back on topic, I support the general consensus - SquirrelMail is fine by me. Mind you, I only use it for a weekly scan & dump of spam.
Not applicable

With regards to the post from stswithins, here is an idea that might work for you:
Go into 'Folders' and type 'Saved' or something similar into the top box (subdivision of Inbox).  At the bottom of the page, click on the word 'Save' (or whatever you have chosen) which appears in the Subscribe box on the right.  When you refresh your folder list (at the top of the page), you will notice that you will have a new folder and you should be able to move things into there.  I have tried it and it does work.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I have been a fan of SM for a long time, using it for our own websites webmail also. As has said before moving away from frames (I believe) is a must, and I'm working on changing SM to run securely in a non-frames environment (It's a bit harder though without introducing AJAX for the folder listings). The main reason for it being in a seperate pane is because of its auto refresh to show when a new e-mail is received for a new folder is made. If a manual page refresh every 3-5 minutes wasn't a big problem for the guys at PN, im sure they could get that implemented pretty quickly (wouldn't mind passing over my finished version if you want when I get round to completing it).
If PN made SM frameless, then skinning would also be a much easier task.
The other problem is with the spam/not spam tagging. This would be a bit more work I think though.
Other than that, SM has never let me down yet!
KevinHyland
Grafter

I'm not the world's biggest Squrrel Mail fan, as some around here will already know.
Glad to see some improvements have been made, but not, in my opinion, enough.
I really really want to see an optional HTML composer added (not actually that difficult if someone cares to look into it) seeing as HTML messages can already be read (check out the mail options on SM if you don't believe me!).
I am also growing tired of waiting for the spam/not spam buttons that were promised ages ago.
I have read the comment about this above, but, given the almighty mess that Plusnet/@mail made of our accounts, I believe that we should be given an exact date for this to be rolled out and that it should be prioritised.
I'm sorry to sound down, but enough is enough!
RaynerDave

I am a Plusnet regular user of webmail. When the switch to SquirrelMail first occurred, I thought it was fine and fully met my needs.  Smiley
Now, however, its reliability seems to get worse by the day. Annoyingly it constantly puts up an error screen saying you have to login again, claiming wrongly that there is something wrong with username or password. When this occurs on hitting the "send" button it is doubly annoying at it loses the message you've just spent time composing, but even worse you cannot rely on it not having sent the message. I discovered just last week that a message that seemed not to have been sent because it was not in the Sent folder, had actually been sent because I received a reply from the recipient quoting the original message. Please, please, fix this problem urgently to bring back reliability to the use of SquirrelMail.  Sad
Secondly, I agree with others about the need for an HTML composer. I find it very annoying that if I receive an HTML message I cannot forward it to a friend without it being converted from HTML to plain text, losing much valuable content in the process.  Sad
Dave
KevinHyland
Grafter

After being shouted down about the HTML editor for so long, it's nice to find I'm not alone...

moderators note by rogerloxton: full quote of preceeding post removed - please see the [Forum Rules]
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

http://squirrelmail.org/plugin_download.php?id=209&rev=1217
That's the plugin that PlusNet could use to allow for sending HTML emails.
Spell checker can be re-introduced by PN by simply changing the settings to allow for it (assuming they have installed the plugin)
Squirrelmail has always been a nice webmail client IMO, and sometimes it just needs some tweeking to get it how people want it.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Getting HTML implemented in Squirrel mail was raised by PUG on 21/6/2007 in the PUGit database as Item 324 .  No response yet from PlusNet, so it must be way down the priority list  Embarrassed
Use the link and add your Vote - it can up the priority.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jsanglier
Dabbler

This may have been said by someone else, but there is a squirrel outlook version which is prettier, if people were interested.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirreloutlook/
Looks like there is a new version out too.
MJL

Squirrel does what I need to most of the time; it could however do with a small amount of work…
1. Import address book function for mail client (csv) / add to address book button from email’s.
2. Send to spam button/ not spam button.
Smiley
KevinHyland
Grafter

Quote from: jsanglier
This may have been said by someone else, but there is a squirrel outlook version which is prettier, if people were interested.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirreloutlook/
Looks like there is a new version out too.

That looks rather good - I might give it a try...
Not applicable

Now that I have a domain name I am back to using Squirrelmail (from gmail) and very glad about this. The simplicity and ease of use after the the latter are refreshing - please don't lose this in the revamp.