cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

pdavidson
Grafter

Re: SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

What is the issue with viewing HTML emails? I haven't received any so I'm not sure how well it works but I have the setting in options switched to show the HTML version by default. Is that not working well? Do we need something else?
dusty_bin
Grafter

It's been fine for me - although I generally only use it for test purposes.
I've been told to log-in again a couple of times when I am sure I was already logged in - but I haven't had the time to work out the exact sequence of events that causes this.
Not applicable

I think that the spam folder should be there by default rather than having to be set up by the user (sure that you have thought of this).  However, I do like the option to create other folders as required.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Whatever you choose, please make sure it has a one click method of reporting spam/not spam in the correct format.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
somerandomguy
Dabbler

One major point in SquirrelMail's favour is that it can be configured to not show HTML mail / images. I raised a ticket about @Mail's habit of displaying the HTML version over the text version and was told it wasn't possible to change it.
SquirrelMail represents a major usability improvement for me on those grounds alone — I *hate* having the HTML version displayed by default, especially when receiving mail from people with a Comic Sans fetish Grin
Possibly PlusNet could configure the default to be to display HTML and images, though, in order to reduce the volume of complaints...
editpoint
Grafter

Squirrel Mail is fine for me.
Although I would like to see a DELETE button at the bottom of the screen as well. When you have to check through 200 spams and then have to scroll all the way back to the top to delete them is a bit of a pain.
kmilburn
Grafter

I use webmail almost daily,  and SquirrelMail is perfectly adequate.  and like 'somerandomguy'  I am very please that it does not show HTML mail by default,  and that it won't show the images by default when the HTML version is viewed.
If/when you replace Squirrel please don't lose this feature....
Also, I'm confused as to why some people have difficulty finding the 'view' link to see the HTML version!!!  Roll_eyes
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

just to add my 2p worth..
As has been said before, it's much faster loading than @mail, and rather easy to navigate around.
or shall we look at it another way? Let's not try and fix something that isn't broken eh?
It works well, and I think I can safely say the majority of users like it..
whisky
Grafter

Another 2p worth............
It would be really nice if all SPAM could be deleted by a single click.
On the whole though, SquirrelMail seems fine.
Liam
Grafter

Good feedback guys, please do keep it coming.  We're going to be collating all this feedback with Paula to examine our options longer term.
Naturally, it needs to be usable and functional, but also secure and scalable. 
Seems SquirrelMail is getting some good write-ups... so if we can look to build in some extra functionality or use some of the mods that they offer - that could be one option.
canford
Grafter

As someone who spends a third of the year in remote parts of the world I generally have a very slow connection; 14k4 is very high speed. @mail was a total nightmare.
Plusnet webmail had the added advantage that it got through the Myanmar censors; whether it still does I shall investigate.
In my ignorance I cannot understand why anyone, not away from home, would want to use webmail. With that in mind, something that loads quickly is far more important than something which looks pretty. SquirrelMail!
jet

I hated it at first, funny how you get used to things.  Just give us the report spam/notspam buttons and I'm quite happy with it.  It works, its tidy, it's fast - what more do we need?
Liam
Grafter

RE Spam / Not Spam Buttons, they're actually planned fairly soon.  Watch this space!
Richard_261
Grafter

Can I set Squirrelmail to NOT add someones email to the spam folder?
I get duty rosters from a club I'm in and they're sent to the spam folder presumambly cos they're a bulk mail.
It would be nice if I could tell Squirrelmail to let all this person's mail through.
Liam
Grafter

Unfortunately not. 
It's not Squirrelmail that moves the email to your spam folder, it's our Spam Protection software on our incoming mail platform.
SquirrelMail simply provides an interface to enable you to view the messages on the server.
The only way to stop it happening for those emails would be to switch off the Spam Protection altogether.
Of course, if they're incorrectly being marked as spam - do forward them to notspam@despamchecker.plus.com to help us train the spam filters.  Far from an overnight solution though, I'm afraid.