cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

Not applicable

Re: SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

Have asked PUG if this is something that they could do for us.  A link from this very lengthy thread to the PUG site to register a vote would surely be expedient.
vanessen
Rising Star

I am not a regular forum user but I have been a user of PlusNet's webmail for some years.  Like 'roughyed' I think the rest of PlusNet is good and I have referred family and others to it as an ISP.  I have also complained to PlusNet about the webmail.  I would like to thank 'roughyed' for his succinct summary of the main problems:
(quoting roughyed):
1. Chronically slow responses to the simplest operations......
2. Disconnection from the IMAP server at any time. .....
3. No information on file size. This is particularly frustrating .....
I have been offered, and have tried for many months, their 'Beta' platform, Roundcube, as an alternative. My conclusion? Don't bother to try it.  It has ONE major advantage over Squirrelmail - the 'Search' function actually works, even on the 'Sent' box.  But otherwise, it is still as slow, it is missing some major flaws (eg no 'show all' messages, no 'edit as new', some messages don't even get displayed), and worst of all, about half the time the login doesn't work at all. 
I'd be happy with Squirrelmail if it PlusNet's service was fast and didn't disconnect - and if there wasn't this outrageous situation on usage limits.  PlusNet has actually deleted most of my emails, at short notice, while I was abroad, because I was apparently above some (uncertain) usage limit - while not offering any means of measuring the usage!  (see other thread - 'Most of my emails have been deleted...')
No-one senior seems to recognise that webmail is a problem for  PlusNet.  I am coming to the conclusion that there is no budget for the webmail service, and us, the customers, are regarded as rather annoying users of storage space.  I see absolutely no signs that any improvements to webmail are even being considered.
A great failure by those otherwise good people from Yorkshire.  Now, where's the place to register that vote...?
Lampo
Grafter

Hi
I have been a customer with PN for a very long time.  Service is great.  But he webmail isn't.  I only check it occasionally from work, but it would be nice to have a bertter looking application and one that does not take as long to load.
thanks a lot
lampo
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Squirrel Mail is not good and PNs implementation is dreadfully slow.
Another ISP I am involved with uses Horde and Round Cube which are way better.
cpcnw
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Is it me or does anyone else find PN's Webmail offering lacking in performance?
What I mean by that is slow / laggy especially when doing a group delete it either drops connection or logs me out!
I use it mostly to selectively remove mail from the server before downloading what I want and whilst I know there is
software to do that I would prefer not to have to.
Im using the latest FF on XPSP3
Any tips / settings that may help?
Not applicable

Many people have been seeing the same errors as you (including me).  I raised a ticket a few days ago asking that the mailbox be refreshed and this seems to have improved matters for now.
For the immediate future it doesn't seem that Plusnet are going to do anything about SM - see this thread.
Another alternative is to re-route using a free email provider (Gmail, Zoho, Yahoo, Gmx or similar) and have your emails collected from SM.
You would need to set it to delete from server or go into Squirrelmail from time to time to empty it.
klyne
Grafter

Personally I think Squirrel Mail is a joke. It lets through posts which are clearly SPAM. I have had to stop posts coming direct via POP3 as so many of them should have been filtered out. Even when you go to web mail it takes ages for it to accept that a mail is reported as SPAM and you often get errors. Its a pity that Plusnet can't introduce a similar system as their owners BT which seems to work quite well and its unusual to get SPAM get through.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Squirrelmail has absolutely nothing to do with spam detection which is handled by the incoming mail servers which then, having filtered out spam, store it in your mailboxes. Squirrelmail then reads the mail from the mailboxes exactly the same as your local client.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sammi

Absolute rubbish. Same issues as almost everyone else, repeatedly dropping connection, problems accessing email, logs me out frequently, it really is the pitts!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@sammi, is that just today? Reason I ask is that we're currently experiencing problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jonners

I too have been a happy enough Plusnet Broadband user for a few years now but the email is so bad its torture using it.  How can it be it works quicker from via my Macbook and Iphone set up than directly via the web ?
The service is so bad I’m assuming Plusnet aren’t bothered about the offering – I wish I had never used it in the first place. 
If I was to switch to GMAIL or AOL could I bounce all emails from Plusnet to a new account? 
Not applicable

Well, SM is really excelling itself in slowness today. Might as well go make a cup of tea while it loads the messages. Opening and deleting is a pain.  Has anyone at PN got a stick of dynamite to get it shifting please?
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel with this, I might as well scrap my domain with Force 9 and just change over to one of the free email addresses.
*Crossed posts so to answer the previous one yes, you can set up Gmail to take emails from PN servers and not leave a message on server or leave one if you want (though you will have to go in an empty the mailbox from time to time).  The only problem with this is that Gmail collects the messages only about once every 45 minutes so if you are waiting on an email you will have to go into settings and select check mail.  It is a circuitous method and it would be much easier if we had a decent webmail service.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I think Usermin is outstanding as is Virtualmin and Webmin that it comes with.
It is much better looking and faster than SM, Roundcube etc.
That is what I provide my website / hosting clients with for webmail.
hevey
Grafter

Webmail is getting slower and slower
I can see a relationship between the number of emails in my inbox and the response times, so clearing it out speeds things up.
However, I currently have 63 emails in my inbox and it's unacceptably slow.  63 is not a ridiculous amount these days?
Also, the "user experience" in terms of functionality and usability when compared to using gmai, yahool and similar is utterly dire.  I know they must have massively bigger budgets, but there must be something open source that approaches that kind of capability?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you create a folder and move the emails you want to keep in to the folder you'll find you'll get the best speed when checking for new mail - not that it will be fast even then!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)