SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

car2nist

Re: SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

Quote from: nottsjohn
Change Squirrel mail? Why?
If it aint broke don't fix it
- and as far as I'm concerned it aint broke
John

As a first time user (had to start using it to find out why all my eBay mail had disappeared only to discover it's all marked as spam), I have to say "It is broke!" - froze on me 3 times in 5 minutes AND it's awful, get rid!  If it wasn't for this spam issue I wouldn't go anywhere near it.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't think it likes massive mailboxes - thousands of items...
But I don't have a use for massive mailboxes.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Ooohhh.
I'm a fan of SM and always will be. HOWEVER...
I just checked out RoundCube, and I seem to be stroking my monitor every time it's on the screen. I don't use PN mail as I have my own mail server and domain, but that's damn nice. I may even move our users onto it after some testing.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
I just checked out RoundCube, and I seem to be stroking my monitor every time it's on the screen.

Grin

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

zubel
Community Veteran

Sick, sick individual....

Oooooooooookay, maybe I was doing the same Tongue
B.
Concerto

Mail Forwarding:  It seems that there is no mail forwarding facility (only redirection via "manage your mail").
It's a conspicuously missing feature which some well known web-mail competitors have as part of their standard service.
Squirrel Mail otherwise seems like a satisfactory web-mail solution for browser based plus-net mailbox access.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

SquirrelMail is an email client not a mail server. If it had mail forwarding rules set up it could only action the rules when you logged in to the relevant mailbox via SquirrelMail which would be pretty useless.
I'm afraid you are asking for something which is impossible!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Studio_Two
Grafter

Isn't there a "reading pane" so that I can read my messages without opening them up individually?
Also, the "next" button takes me to older messages and the "previous" option takes me to newer messages. What's all that about?
I don't care much for SquirrelMail...
Thanks,
Stephen
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Studio_Two
I don't care much for SquirrelMail...

The blog IronPort & the Future of the Email Platform may offer hope to you in this case. As stated in the blog plans are well advanced for a trial in the new year which could result in SquirrelMail being replaced with Roundcube. Quoting from the blog:
Quote from: Bob
Over recent weeks we’ve been trialling Roundcube with members of staff and a small number of closed BETA trialists. Feedback so far has been really good so we’re aiming to launch a fully-fledged BETA trial early next year. As soon as we have more detail about this it”ll be published right here on Community so watch this space!

David
David
Concerto

Quote from: jelv
SquirrelMail is an email client not a mail server. If it had mail forwarding rules set up it could only action the rules when you logged in to the relevant mailbox via SquirrelMail which would be pretty useless.
I'm afraid you are asking for something which is impossible!

Forgive my apparent naivety, but how comes googlemail & windows live can be set to forward mail from their web email client?...
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Because you are telling the server to do the forwarding - the actual forwarding occurs when the mail is received, not when you fire up the google (etc) mail client.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bridgetharkin

i hope when i get my broadband equitpment i would be able to send e-mails to my family Bridget.Harkin
Not applicable

Welcome Bridget and I am sure that you will be able to send many e-mails when you are on broadband. Hope everything goes well with the set up.
Not applicable

With regards to Roundcube, it seems as if people there is a general approval of it. However, I am not one of them and hope that when it does come online for general use it will do so with the amendments asked for in the trial.
Squirrelmail, although not as aesthetically pleasing, is much more user-friendly than RC IMO.
Santiago
Grafter

When I log into our company webmail I am offered a choice of  Squirrelmail, Roundcube and Horde.
What would the issues be with Plusnet offering a similar choice for webmail?