cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

james_pask
Hooked

Re: SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

It's a lightweight client which does pretty much everything you need.  One little thing that would be great would be for a webmail service to offer a calendar - I actually use Outlook for my mail and IMAP access which means I can obviously keep stuff on the server and look at it wherever I am - my only bug bear is that I have a calendar on my local machine and can't take it with me (sure I could syncronise between computers using Outlook but its a bit clunky to do that).
As far as actual 'mail' goes, SquirrelMail is pretty cool although as many have already mentioned, it looks a little dull - maybe PlusNet could spend some time skinning it with nice purple buttons etc?  Grin
Calvin

SquirrelMail does pretty mush everything I need from a web mail application. My only gripe is having to type in verification letters for every e-mail I send. Would it not be possible only to have to verify the first e-mail you send in any one session.
coordz

Why the need to verify I'm a human at all? If I'm a crazy spammer PlusNET can pretty easily see that from my account details. Are my account details *that* insecure that it's possible for spammer to get hold of them, log in to my webmail and use that position to send spam? I hope not.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Whilst we are pretty careful about who we give our username and password to, not all 200,000 broadband users will be as careful. You only have to look at the numbers who fall for phishing attempts to see how many people are not aware of the risks.
Given that the code is only required when attempting to send while on a non-Plusnet connection, I'd suggest that requiring the code once per session would be a good compromise.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I am currently in the US for a month and having to use SquirrelMail. Whilst it is basic it is acceptable but I would like to see a spellchecker incorporated.
Also as I am not on my own PC I am having to type in a verification code for each message I send.  Sometimes the letters/numbers are not clear to read and some disappear into the hatched background.  Can something be done about this? Some characters are in bold type and others not, and this also adds to confusion. 
I guess this verification code is something that is purchased by PN but is it possible to avoid letters and numbers that can be misread such as the letters I and O the numbers 1 and 0?
paulby
Grafter

Mail2Web works with PN mail.  You'll need to use the advanced configuration though to enter your username and password.
You can also sign up for a free account which will give you a dedicated url to access your own mail without having to enter your account details every time.
Tigger
Rising Star

Any idea what's with the pirate flag on the log-in page this morning?
Not been hi-jacked again, have we?Huh
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's international talk like a pirate day. Have a read of the blog post here for more info from Cap'n Pete.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
petejackson
Grafter

Pirate Chris be right me hearties!  'Tis International Talk Like a Pirate day!  See http://www.talklikeapirate.com ; and http://www.yarr.org.uk
(I knows the logo be not rightly clear 'n all with the TLAPD acronym but I love the flag and the parrot arrr).
mike7201

I think the Squirel Mail area is fine.  It's quick, simple and easy to navigate.  Long may it remain.  After all, it's the ideal area to check email quickly when away from home. 
My only suggestion would be to allow more than 15 messages to be seen in the 'Inbox'.  To clarify, when you're in your 'Inbox', it's sometimes nice to have a good over-view of what messages there are, rather than having to move from page to page to see who's emailed you. 
Perhaps a 'drop-down' to allow people to choose how many messages can be displayed '10', '20', 100 etc...
This would also make the selection of emails for one bulk deletion easier, especially if there are 30-40 pages of emails like mine!!  Ideal for the Spam folder methinks.!
Finally...  Perhaps a 'DELETE ALL' option to allow everything remaining in the relevant folder to be erased and purged automatically, saving the user time and refresh wait time.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There is also a Show All button at the bottom of the folder list when the number of messages requires more than one page to show them.  Clicking that displays all the messages on one page and Toggle All will select them all for whatever action is required.
This does need to be used carefully, perhaps best avoided if there are a large number of messages to list.  Using the Options - Display Preferences setting may be more suitable then.
David
inselaffe

Search never works - it always displays this:
ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
Query: SEARCH CHARSET ISO-8859-1 ALL FROM {4} test

And that CAPTCHA "security check" when sending mail really has to go.
mdskids

I've just joined PlusNet, and I'm sure I'm going to be using SquirrelMail a lot when I'm at work/away from home, but I'm not relishing the thought of manually entering a couple of hundred email addresses.  Any chance of 'Add Sender to Address book', and 'Add All to Address book' options? 
Or alternatively, maybe someone could let me know how I could import all my addresses in from Outlook Express/Thunderbird, or from my old Orange webmail server?Huh
artmo
Aspiring Champion

The verification code is still causing problems on occasions as the letters are not always easy to read.  Can something be done about this without compromising the security of the system?
Also, is it possible to have auto-complete os email addresses? This would be easier than having to go to the address book each time.
isakotto

Well, it works, but I didn't find it a pleasure initially, and still miss the previous system.
I have three wishes, both caused by the large number of emails I have stored.
1) It would be so useful to be able to sort the mails by sender.  To sort by topic perhaps might also be useful, but less so.
2) I used to be able to elect having 50 or 100 emails shown per page ... that was much better for me
3) When going back or forward through pages, the buttons keep moving, depending on various factors, primarily the length of email subjects (sometimes using 2 lines).  Separate buttons at the top would be useful.
Thank you for listening and giving an opportunity to give you feedback.
Isak