Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spamhaus PBL - PlusNet Policy on mail servers & outbound mail

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Spamhaus PBL - PlusNet Policy on mail servers & outbound mail

Hi,

I've been running a mail server for years on my static PlusNet IP, for various reasons (control, reliability, amongst others).

Never had any issues, except just had some mails bounce back for the IP being listed in Spamhaus PBL, which hasn't happened before.

On checking with Spamhaus their service reports...

"Outbound Email Policy of Plusnet Plc for this IP range:

It is the policy of Plusnet Plc that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Plusnet Plc customers. To find the hostname of the correct mail server to use, customers should consult the original signup documentation or contact Plusnet Plc Technical Support."

Is that true that it's the policy of PlusNet to send via PlusNet mail servers?

When I set it all up a long time ago I don't recall this was the case if you were running your own server, but could be wrong.

I don't have a great deal of trust in PN mail servers from experience and also it introduces an issue where the spam checkers may determine the domain I'm sending from doesn't match the mail server domain / not listed in the DNS MX records for my domain, and thus reject mails that way.

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Spamhaus PBL - PlusNet Policy on mail servers & outbound mail

already raised here https://community.plus.net/t5/Business/Email-sent-are-being-rejected-as-SPAM/m-p/1463398#M3329

is this an ip group or an individual number -what are the first few numbers

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Have a read of the thread here. Assuming you're posting from your IP, this shouldn't be an issue any more as 84.92.0.0/16 is no longer listed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks. Yes it's a static IP in 84.92.0.0/16.

However I got bounced this morning with two recipients within the same company.

I did follow the links to Spamhaus and requested my IP was removed and testing on blacklist checks it seems to be clear now.

Just that the message on Spamhaus said what it said above about PlusNet requiring sending via PN mail server, which is why I was asking really, in case the policy had changed.

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have just noticed my mails have not been sending since the beginning of August. I presume plusnet made a change to put the customer IP ranges (mine is 212.159...) into Spamhaus PBL but did so without announcing it.

I'd just like to check if the correct way to resolve this is to remove ones address from the PBL site ?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

A partial explanation can be found in the thread linked above.

I recommend requesting Spamhaus delist your individual IP if they're willing.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've done that, just waiting a while to see if it has the desired effect.

> Removal Control: Request Accepted

> The IP address has been added to the PBL Removals database. Please allow 30 minutes for servers around the world to update their data. Under normal circumstances, in approximately 30 minutes you should be able to send email directly to networks that use Spamhaus' Policy Block List system.

> Note that the PBL Removal System will now automatically run a check on the removed IP address and will re-activate the PBL listing if the IP address is found to be dynamic, not a real mail server, having any history of sending spam, or if it appears infected with a virus/trojan.

The third paragraph is ineresting saying it could be re-activated. we'll see...