Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam

VeganRunner
Dabbler

Re: Spam

23 since 10pm Friday!

Classing them as spam but still getting them. Not impressed.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@bobpullen Don't know if this is relevant, but all my 'spam' has been correctly identified by Coudmark as 100% spam and tagged accordingly.

John
GioC
Grafter

@VeganRunner - It will still get through as they are "Mail Delivery Fail" reports and to look like you've been sending out emails that havent found their destination. I imagine the return path address is your email address.

They are still getting through on my account also.

If possible, i'd like a temp block on "mail delivery failed" emails until this stops. I know it can be done at the server end by tech team support, though not sure if it can be done on an individual user level.

jab1
Legend

Anyone had any today? - my last one was about 00.15 this morning.

Edit - just got one timed at 11.39.Cry

John
GioC
Grafter

About 140 mail delivery failures between midnight and now...

Do we have any updates from security support team? I imagine that the support team are waiting/hoping for it to stop (as these things usually do) but that really isn't a pro-active solution..

jab1
Legend

@GioC - As Bob Pullen is aware of this situation, be assured something will be done, but there are no magic fixes for this type of problem and Bob IS entitled to time off.

John
GioC
Grafter

I hear you, though i'm guessing he's not their only server support guy (if he is, he'll be on a bloody good salary 😉 ) and hopefully passed on to others that are working.

The magic fix (if it can be implemented with the system they use) is to temporarily trap delivery failures at a user level, on the servers. It's what we used to do on corporate sites when individuals got mail bombed.

I apologise if I come across as impatient, I don't mean to, it's just that sifting through hundreds of these a day totally slows down ones productivity and it's gone on  for a few days now.

jab1
Legend

Bob IS the expert on the mail system. I don't know what he gets paid, though Smiley.

Idon't know about the 'magic fix' as you call it, but I imagine it would be near impossible on an ISP level - too many individual accounts over too wide an area being one thing that comes to mind.

No need for the apology, I understand what you mean, but from past experience, it is not always an easy thing to fix.

Out of curiosity, are all your spam mails tagged as spam? - the 10/11 I have received are, and they are being correctly identified as 100% spam by the Cloudmark filters.

I have filtering 'off' on my control panel as I had a few legit mails which CM seemed to find fault with and binned - causing me to miss a couple of meetings and resulting in a phone call from my bank.

John
GioC
Grafter

Actually, not a single one is getting marked as spam.

I have marked so many as spam but more are still coming through and sitting there.

I can understand why they are not, if the system thinks they are being returned due to a wrong email address.

jab1
Legend

@GioC yes I understand your problem.

My spam, however, is of the 'pills to boost your brainpower' type, from 'legit' addresses, which have obviously been spoofed, but the content is obviously NOT legit, hence the CM filters are picking them up.

John
ginnym
Grafter

Has anyone had an update on this?  I've had 50+ spam messages today, mostly offensive ones but also some of the "you've got voicemail" variety and one or two are being flagged by Eset as dangerous.

Have received another 3 in the time it's taken to type this message!

VeganRunner
Dabbler

Plusnet replied to me saying that my password had been compromised and I'd been sending out massive amounts of emails!

This despite telling me that they can't actually see how many emails are sent out.

They have disabled my account while I change my password and I have to run a virus check. I had already done that though. Both Malwarebytes and Windows Defender full scans with no results.

While I'm not convinced that is the real cause the fact that a couple of people changed their password had no further issues adds some weight to what Plusnet claim.

Emlyn
Dabbler

Mine had stopped (after I had changed passwords) but I'm now getting a small number again. Thankfully there are not too many.
ginnym
Grafter

Mine aren't read receipts or delivery failures so I'm not sure how it can be anything to do with me supposedly sending lots of emails to dodgy people. If lots of people's passwords have been compromised, shouldn't Plusnet be putting out an alert and explaining how it's happened?

jab1
Legend

@ginnym -As I have said before, it is not passwords which have been hacked, but someone collecting or otherwise obtaining email addresses - sadly there are bursts of this on the net.

@bobpullen - have you got anywhere with your investigations?

John