cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam

ginnym
Grafter

Re: Spam

The spam I'm getting is quite offensive and is the type of thing that I thought should be picked up by Plusnet's filters but it's not, it's coming through to me and then getting picked up by Eset.  Am I barking up the wrong tree or is it an issue with Plusnet's filters rather than anything else?

Mav
Fixes: 515

In total I must have received over 700 spam emails yesterday of varying kinds.

This seems to happen for a few days every three or four years. Most are sent to the Junk folder but a few get sent to others, are soon found and deleted. Not at PC yet so not sure what the state of play is today.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Richard-261
Grafter

It sounds like I'm getting off lightly from some people's stories.

My spam stopped for a few days and started again yesterday but *only* 20-30.

2 strokes good - 4 strokes bad : George Orwell.
Cerberos
Rising Star

I have had just over 100 since yesterday morning addressed to "copier@mydomain.co.uk", most have which the spam filter has picked up. All with a potentially harmful attachment and marked as spam.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

For those of you seeing these where the spam filter isn't picking them up, can you private message me a couple of examples of the full headers please so we can get this looked in to further.

Thanks.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mav

@Chris

Just checked my emails and got over 650 spam ones. Most were marked as SPAM but of the few that weren't I've sent two headers by PM.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

VeganRunner
Dabbler

Having done what Plusnet have asked I'm still waiting for them to unblock my email address. Can't receive or send right now. Same with alias accounts. *sigh*

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Mav -650+ spam.Shocked

I thought I was getting swamped, and I've only had 20 since the 'deluge' started.

@Mav wrote:

@Chris

Just checked my emails and got over 650 spam ones. Most were marked as SPAM but of the few that weren't I've sent two headers by PM.

John
Mav

I've had around another 150 since i posted that and still more than 6 hours left in the dayRoll_eyes

Tigger
Rising Star

Haven't been getting loads of Spam, possibly because I have my filters set fairly high.

But I have had three purportedly notifying me of emails which have been quarantined.

As they're addressed to "Dear Plusnet Customer", I'm not even sure whether they're genuine or not.

Not had any quarantined for ages, so I'm a bit suspicious.

Whichever, they've been deleted!

jab1
Legend

@Tigger - easy enough to check if you look at the email header. Are you using Webmail or a client to access your email - if you don't know how to check for headers?

John
Tigger
Rising Star

My phone.

No idea how to check for headers on there!

jab1
Legend

In that case, sorry I can't help, my phone only makes phone calls.Wink

John
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@Tigger wrote:

But I have had three purportedly notifying me of emails which have been quarantined.

As they're addressed to "Dear Plusnet Customer", I'm not even sure whether they're genuine or not. 

@Tigger Those quarantine alert messages are probably genuine, though what has been quarantined won't be. I think such alerts are generated by the anti-spam/virus appliances which don't have the means to work out your real name. It could be forged in the suspicious message.

If you did check the headers they would look peculiar because the messages are locally generated.

David
Tigger
Rising Star

@spraxyt wrote:

Those quarantined messages are probably genuine,

If you did check the headers they would look peculiar because the messages are locally generated.

Thanks Spraxyt, just been so long since I've had even one, that getting three within 24 hours seemed just a bit fishy!