cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam to plusnet-specific Email address.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Spam to plusnet-specific Email address.

That's an interesting idea !   Smiley
My Plusnet marketing preferences has always been OPTED IN set to accept email marketing offers from Plusnet.
It also says on that page -
[quote=Choose how you would like to hear from Plusnet]It's Plusnet policy never to share your personal details with any other companies or individuals outside of the BT Group without your permission. However, we may need to provide your name and address to companies that we use for delivering specific services to you (e.g. broadband, or a shipping company, if you've asked us to send something to you).
I signed up to get the Plusnet Newsletter by email, and then they stopped doing newsletters more than three years ago  Crazy
LordFox
Rising Star

Hmm... I've never even seen that marketing preferences page before. I (was) opted in to everything. I've left email on; no point bolting the stable door after the horse has kicked it down. If it's anything to do with that.
My PN-only Clara address has never had a website or individual domain associated with it. It's a pure email account at myusername.clara.co.uk
The only way for someone to get hold of that PN address is to get it from PN somehow, or sniff my internet traffic or read my incoming mail on my PC. If it was the latter two, there are a lot of other incoming Clara addresses they would have got too. Since the Clara account works as a catch-all, I don't even have the PN address entered in my client as a usable address to send from.
I'm not 'accusing' PN (maybe BT more!) as such, but realistically there is nowhere else that this address could have leaked from. (PN partners included in that, obviously)
Since people have been mentioning different dates, it did occur that it might be an old, compromised backup or an older leak that has only just surfaced. We would need to get a true idea of the 'age' of users who are, and aren't, getting the emails to ascertain the window. Assuming everyone in the presumed-leaked-database gets the spam.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Todays new SPAM messages to my private Plusnet billing account email address are -
Subject: 10 NEEDED - Dyson DC40 Product Testers

From: "Daily Deals in association with E-market Labs" <news@liveuknews.co.uk>
Subject: 1 News - Almost 80% off your order

Angry
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@RPM
Hi RPM, I think we discounted the hosted domain idea after more than a couple of posters here have never had them, and are getting the SPAM.
Thanks for the reminder about marketing preferences, I don't remember leaving the whole lot ticked but I've now changed it to email only.
Another possibility I suspect we can eliminate is it not being specific to people running their own mail servers with SMTP delivery. I would imagine that several recipients of the SPAM do not run their own mail servers.
Boxman101
Grafter

If it is of interest recently I've been getting quite a few spam e-mails from <news@liveuknews.co.uk> to my own domain address (not hosted by Plusnet) and nothing on my very rarely used Plusnet e-mail address.  Becoming mildly irritating and if not sorted may influence my decision on a future provider when my contract expires in the near future.
I've been with Plusnet for about four years by the way.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you clarify as what you are apparently saying is that you are getting these spam emails to your own domain address but did you use that address as a contact address with Plusnet
poshrat
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Can you clarify as what you are apparently saying is that you are getting these spam emails to your own domain address but did you use that address as a contact address with Plusnet

Correct.  The SPAM (was) only coming to the email id allocated to PN on my own domain. (eg. fred@my.domain.co.uk)
I've always been opted out of the marketing contact options with PN.
I say WAS because is you look at one of my other posts I did an unsubscribe of the E-Market Labs associated SPAM domains and my in box has been quiet ever since.

I don't think this is rocket science.  At the moment it looks to me as (I've not checked all the spam source domains mentioned) E-Market Labs is the route source of these spam Emails so I'm hoping PN Legal are asking them where they got our Email addresses from.  Maybe PN are in the process of doing this and as is customary with all legal stuff like this it is kept private for obvious reasons.     

LordFox
Rising Star

Yesterday and today I've had multiple spam emails to my PN-only Clara address from both:
<news@onepoundnews.co.uk>
<news@liveuknews.co.uk>
Nothing of the sort to any other addresses that I use and monitor daily, including many dozens of Clara addresses and my own domains.
If it is relevant, even my PN-provided email address does not get the spam, in fact has never had any spam whatsoever. That is the address I see when I go to My Account  / Email Settings / Manage my email in the Member Centre. That email receives my billing notifications but I've never used it for anything else. It is configured on my email client (now Outlook).
The address that is getting the spam is the Clara one given in "My Details" in the account details, and is also registered on this forum.
I hope we can get to the bottom of how this has happened, and who is responsible. It's not a case of a witch-hunt, more one of honesty and openness. If the buck stops with PN directly and it's a failure of security or a mistake, well, stuff happens. I'll not see it as a cause to move or anything. On the other hand, if things were covered up, that is what might make me jump ship. If it's a case of someone deliberately leaking the information, they need the full force of the law taking against them in every possible way. Whatever, we need to be told, with nothing held back.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just for clarification, do you get a copy of billing emails at the Clara address which gets the SPAM?
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is now more than TEN DAYS since this information leak was first reported (in this topic) !
Are Plusnet any nearer to finding both HOW and WHAT has been leaked, than they were this time last week ?
Crazy
avatastic
Grafter

Nope, they've pushed it under the rug and aren't doing a damn thing about it.
If I'm wrong, correct me and detail the work you've done to identify the steps, "We're looking in to it" is not a valid response, we WANT and demand transparency.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
LordFox
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone
Just for clarification, do you get a copy of billing emails at the Clara address which gets the SPAM?

Apparently it does - I had to check.
The PN-supplied address (me@my-PN-username.plus.com) receives ONLY monthly billing notices. Nothing else  at all, no SPAM.
My Clara address receives monthly billing notices, other notices (like firewall changes) and the current SPAM. It has never received SPAM before this incident, from anywhere.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are today's SPAM message delivered to my private Plusnet billing account email address -
Subject: Luma - good news for credit building

Subject: We make sure every deal is unbeatable

Angry
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Quote from: avatastic
Nope, they've pushed it under the rug and aren't doing a damn thing about it.

Now that's just going over the top.  Roll_eyes
This is quite clearly a complex issue as the leak is not widespread and similarities with those affected are hard to pin down. I wouldn't expect anything concrete to be found within a month.
That's RPM to you!!
LFaulkner
Dabbler

I've had today
"TravelChance" <news@liveuknews.co.uk>
and
"Fantastic discounts" <news@liveuknews.co.uk>
It would be nice to believe that something was being done.