Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam to plusnet-specific Email address.

alan659882
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Spam to plusnet-specific Email address.

I've started receiving Spam Emails sent to an Email address that I've only given to Plusnet.
The latest set is from a "Personal Psychic Reading" service!
It's the address that I gave them when signing-up for broadband service, not my '@xxxx.plus.com' address.
Anyone else seen this, or just me?
420 REPLIES 420
HolaPussycat
Grafter

Re: Spam to plusnet-specific Email address.

I can also confirm a Plus.net specific email address (very specific, in fact: Not set up as an inbox; Not used to send email; The domain name is set up with a catch all, to forward all emails that are not to a specific inbox).
I would like confirmation of how the database of addresses has been compromised, or if Plus.net have sold this list of addresses.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Can both of you advise when the first of these messages was received and would you mind PM'ing me the headers from a handful of them?
I remain quietly confident that our database has not been compromised, knowing where it lives and how it's protected.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

alan659882
Rising Star

PM sent
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

HolaPussycat
Grafter

Headers forwarded.
I've also checked my server logs, and can confirm that this morning (2014 11 13 06:09:06) was the first attempted delivery to this address that is not from Plus.net.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, noted.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

alan659882
Rising Star

Just got another, wants me to adopt a child!
Headers PM'ed
HolaPussycat
Grafter

Same one here too. I've already changed my registered address to a new specific one, but I won't reject the previous address until this has been fully resolved.
Any other Plus.net users that are receiving emails to their account registered address?
picbits
Rising Star

Out of curiosity, are the email addresses fairly random or could they be guessed as common keywords such as plusnet@abc.com ?
I get loads of attempted spam at my domains with many different random and keywords before the domain.com
Another thing I've noticed recently is the amount of integration between my windows phone / Hotmail / Facebook and various other services. Do you receive your emails from your specific PN email address on any mobile devices which may have third party applications (flashlight / utilities etc) which have access to your email addresses ? 
alan659882
Rising Star

Just to add some info, the address I'm receiving the spam on is not the same as the one I use for this forum.
It's the one that appears in my plusnet account details (But it isn't a plusnet address).
You'd have trouble guessing it, it's of the form plusnet<randon-number>@mydomain.com
Ambadista

I have received a couple today too - from Maria Medium and FosterCare. Like the other posters here, to an email address only used for registering with Plusnet and never used for sending emails.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this problem too !   Angry
The email address is specifically ONLY used for RECEIVING messages from -

• Plusnet account billing, support, and newsletters

• Plusnet Forum replies

• Plusnet VoIP notifications

This address is NOT used for Plusnet "Service Status" notifications, or for Plusnet "User Group" (PUGIT) messages.
Today I received two SPAM messages directly to this email address, as the previous poster stated, from -
         "Maria Medium" <news@cardnews.co.uk>
    and
         "FosterCare" <news@liveuknews.co.uk>.
Having seen this topic, I have searched my IMAP accounts to see whether this has occurred before,  and discovered that on the 14th and 19th of August 2013,  that I have had messages to this same email account from <bt.email.antivirus@bt.com> with a subject of "BT Messaging Anti-Virus Alert",  and the headers look like they are genuinely from BT servers.  Why would I ever receive email from BT anti-virus ?
I am used to seeing considerable daily SPAM to my Plusnet email addresses, but only to mailboxes that existed when the Plusnet servers were hacked in 2007.
This new problem appears to have compromised my Plusnet mailbox address on an independent (non-Plusnet) domain that has only been used in association with my Plusnet account (as listed above).  Other mailbox addresses on the same domain ARE NOT receiving SPAM - it is ONLY the address used for my Plusnet account that is affected !
Cry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: alanonplusnet
Just to add some info, the address I'm receiving the spam on is not the same as the one I use for this forum.
It's the one that appears in my plusnet account details (But it isn't a plusnet address).

Had drawn that conclusion already, however thanks for the info.
Quote from: purleigh
Having seen this topic, I have searched my IMAP accounts to see whether this has occurred before,  and discovered that on the 14th and 19th of August 2014,  that I have had messages to this same email account from <bt.email.antivirus@bt.com> with a subject of "BT Messaging Anti-Virus Alert",  and the headers look like they are genuinely from BT servers.  Why would I ever receive email from BT anti-virus ?

Can you please PM me the headers from this email purleigh?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bob - PM sent for each of the headers of the "BT Messaging Anti-Virus Alert" messages