Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam to a Plusnet-only email address

ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Spam to a Plusnet-only email address

I've started getting occasional spam emails to a specific address that has only ever been used to communicate with Plusnet. Are there other reports that suggest a Plusnet server may have been compromised?

23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Spam to a Plusnet-only email address

If there were other reports, @ChrisL, you would surely have seen them on here?

John
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @ChrisL, thanks for your post.

I can assure you that we have no reports of, and aren't aware of any compromise to our servers.

I can only advise flagging any emails as spam to have them automatically added to the spam/junk folder.

ChrisL
Rising Star

Thanks Owen.

As far as I remember, one of the nasty blackmail attempts arrived at my 'plusnet' address and was marked as spam by the filter; the most recent was a Polish thing that got past the filter, and I reported it as spam in Webmail.

Mails arrive at my user account via catchall, though it is impossible to believe that the specific address in question was chosen at random.  I have never used it for anything but Plusnet communications, but it's possible that other forum members (for instance) may have been given it, as well as the company itself....

It's not a big deal, unless it looks like becoming a problem for lots of people.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @ChrisL, thanks for your post.

How many of these emails would you say you're getting on a daily basis?

Completely agree on the email address, I personally can't see it being randomly generated with what it is, however, unless it's been posted publicly we wouldn't furnish any of our forum users with it unless staff. -Owen

ChrisL
Rising Star

Hi Owen

I'm getting very few -- less than one a day.  But then I get very few spams of any kind (I use lots of specific addresses for public posts and can blackhole any very bad addresses). I'd rather not blackhole this one, which I still use....

I meant that I may have given out the 'plusnet' version to Plusnet-related users, not that i thought the company had given it out!

Thanks for your interest.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

If the address is a Plusnet email address you should be able to block mail from a particular domain by going to http://www.plus.net/email

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisL
Rising Star

Thanks @Gandalf, but the spams are coming from various domains, probably hacked in the usual way. I don't think blocking the sending addresses would help.

It's actually not a big problem for me. I just thought I should report it, because the address they are sending TO is one I have designed to be rather Plusnet-specific.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah fair. Cheers for the heads up, though it doesn't look like there's much we can do I'm afraid.

Feel free to let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi

I have also seen a few such spam ID'ed emails.

The first one was to one of my most used email boxes but the most recent two were as mentioned above the address for emails only in regard to PN related updates.

The two common factors in all three (not a lot but annoying all the same) is that the From name is eastern european and the subject title has the common word faktura.

caccy1

Have been getting these over the past 5 to 6 weeks all from various ( I suspect POLISH) e-mail addresses. They come to various e-mail addresses I have with Plus net. One has come two or three times to a mail box that is specific to one organisation only.

The common factor is that they all have FAKTURA in the title.

Routefinder
Grafter

I had another three today all with Factura in the subject title again.

Two were to my PN only related address and one yo a more commonly used address.

Based on the common factor......................can't this be flagged as suspicious and quarantined by the PN filters???

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you can PM me the e-mail addresses I'll be happy to see if this is possible.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Gandalf

Which addresses, my email addresses or the return path ones which are as I recall are different in each email.

Should I just PM the headers from the last three received???

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yep if you can PM the headers that'll be great.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet