Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam query

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Spam query

A few days ago, I started to receive a considerable number of unwanted emails.  They purport to come from my son and appear to be either redirected or forwarded.
The message starts either hi, hullo, Hello or Hallo, followed by a URL.
The URL's have suffixes for Russia, Poland, South Africa, Brazil, France, or simply org or net.
I have not opened any of the websites.
Is the only solution to block my son's email address and for him to change his password?  Any clues how this situation has come about?
Regards.....Noel
3 REPLIES 3
fotobits
Rising Star

Re: Spam query

.....my son is an AOL user, has this anything to do with the problem?  As I indicated, the Spam mails are either "Return" or a "Forwarded" mails, therefore, access to my email address appears to come from the Inbox or Sent folders, not the Contact list.
My guess is that the access is gained at the AOL end.
Regards.....
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Your description strongly suggests that your son's email service / address has been compromised.  The question I would be adding here is why is PN's spam filtering service not marking / blocking these emails as being spam?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fotobits
Rising Star

The issue has now been resolved.
I am not sure how AOL's mailing service operates, however, I guess that a User's email Contact List is held on the ISP's server and not in Client Software.  My son has deleted the email Contact List and the rubbish mailing have ceased.  He has, of course, changed his password to the ISP site.
Townman I suspect the there is no obvious feature on the unwanted emails that can identify them as spam.  I tried strengthening the Spam Filter in my PlusNet's mail settings, to no avail.
To get to my Live Mail, emails pass through PlusNet's filters, Live Mail filters and those of Norton.  I consider all three serve their role very well.
Regards.....Noel