cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam infection

peterbarker
Grafter

Spam infection

After a number of years on Plusnet with almost no SPAM apart from a few genuine messages that were incorrectly blocked as SPAM, in 2012 I have suddenly begun to receive an ever-increasing amount of "real" SPAM.    So far it is just one of my mail boxes, but unfortunately the one I use most.  Presumably that address has got onto some spammer's list and I fear the problem will only get worse. 
I have set my Plusnet SPAM Protection settings to the maximum, for example SPAM to be marked and added to SPAM folder, Aggressiveness of SPAM filter to Maximum etc.  Unfortunately, the SPAM is sent from a different address each time, so almost impossible to block by sender's address.

So far this year not one single SPAM message has been marked and moved to the SPAM folder on the server; even though to me it looks very obviously SPAM.  It just gets downloaded to my PC with the other emails.  I have set up Outlook rules which can sift out SPAM after download.  However, I have to keep adding conditions to the rules to keep on top of the SPAM.  My experience gained with a previous ISP and different email address was that once an address became infected the amout of SPAM just grew and grew until eventually the address became unusable, partly because genuine emails were getting lost.
I have 2 questions.
1. Has Plusnet changed their SPAM filtering ?
2. Any suggestions about keeping on top of this SPAM ?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Spam infection

You could change the Outlook POP3 mail collection settings to "leave a copy on the server" for a few days*. Then for spam messages login to betawebmail (https://betawebmail.plus.net/) and use the Spam/Not Spam buttons to report the messages directly to Cloudmark for filter training. Assuming Cloudmark agree with your spam assessment hopefully filter improvements will cause such messages to be identified as spam on receipt and moved to your Spam folder.
Spam/Not Spam button details here.
* I think the "leave a copy on the server" settings are under the Advanced tab within "More Settings ...".
David
David
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Seems a bit odd that none of your spam is being caught....  It might be worth just checking that spam filtering hasn't been turned off inadvertently?  You've obviously looked under the Spam tab in Manage My Mail recently, but you might have overlooked the on/off button?
Hope this isn't silly.
Chris
peterbarker
Grafter

Thanks for suggestions.  I turned up my "Aggressiveness" setting and have not had any spam downloaded today.  Genuine messages have been downloaded OK.
However, spam messages are turning up in my "Sent" folder, marked "spam@spamtraining.plus.com" etc. etc.  Presumably I can mark these as spam and delete them?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you look it the subject of those, it is where you reported one as spam. no need to report it again
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Having messages sent to that address suggests you are trying to report them as spam using the buttons in the default webmail program Squirrelmail. Those buttons are now obsolete.
Instead use the buttons in Roundcube which is the betawebmail product linked from my previous reply:
Quote from: spraxyt
... for spam messages login to betawebmail (https://betawebmail.plus.net/) and use the Spam/Not Spam buttons to report the messages directly to Cloudmark for filter training. Assuming Cloudmark agree with your spam assessment hopefully filter improvements will cause such messages to be identified as spam on receipt and moved to your Spam folder.
Spam/Not Spam button details here.

David
David
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I routinely now log onto RoundCube to weed out Spam prior to downloading to OE. About half the Spam I receive is trapped - I manually have to report the rest. I prefer the Spam filter to be less aggressive than more aggressive. My emails are all mirrored to Yahoo and its Spam filter is too aggressive yet I can't seem to alter it.
Kwak
Rising Star

I've started gettiing some spam myself last few days, to different "proper" addresses, not to madeupname@.
Perhaps addresses that were obtained in the plusnet email hack of a few years ago? Having said that one
of them is to an address used just for monster.com and they were also hacked, but that was years ago.
I'm guessing others must also be noticing a sudden increase in spam?
Is there some new spammer on the net and this is an internet wide problem, one of the occassional
spambot activity blips?