Did you mean: 

Spam filter settings

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Spam filter settings

I just spotted this

2017-07-10_115005.jpg

Since spam gets "Spam" added as per the other setting but just gets delivered as normal what is it supposed to do

7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Spam filter settings

If you've had [-SPAM-] tagged messages delivered to your Inbox despite the highlighted setting being set, take a look at the Spam level shown in the message headers. I think you'll find such messages are Level 4 or 5 whereas your aggressiveness setting is 1 or 2.

Level 4 or 5 means the messages show slight spam indications but setting 1 or 2 means only those with higher spam indications are to go into the spam folder. So Level 4 or 5 go into Inbox.

It's a moot point whether the [-SPAM-] tag should be added to these, though it suits me for this to be done.

David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As it is 4.4  that would explain it but that leaves the question - where does the higher level spam go to given that I don't have a Spam folder

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The Spam folder should be created by the system the first time it is needed. Do you have Discard Obvious Spam selected? I don't. If you have this set I wonder if anything that would go in the Spam folder is being discarded instead.

Do you subscribe to the TBB weekly news letter? If so did you receive one this morning? The one I received went into my Spam folder with headers

X-BV-Spam-Flag: Yes
X-IPAS: Level1
X-CM-Score: 100.00
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.2 cv=K9lSJ2eI c=1 sm=1 tr=0 p=kxN8zihzAAAA:20
 a=pJsbJzwWirHkuwmmTXlyLg==:117 a=pJsbJzwWirHkuwmmTXlyLg==:17 a=N3r_kG5WAAAA:8
 a=G3gG6ho9WtcA:10 a=528-haX-LPRgicTGYXUA:9 a=GsIou32tuNwWOV_r:21
 a=tyW-anBeBVs-CpRA:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=Zejo5gl9yXkA:10 a=emGzWzSzrTkA:10
 a=SSmOFEACAAAA:8 a=GOrvN6Y_jbAn0kYAi2sA:9 a=UptQmZvUYbNh67k6:21
 a=0NVR4U-QtiCA8f29:21 a=AoHUpWyezkn61MI1:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10
 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10 a=p403mkujtbAA:10 a=nwzLcYJN7eXk8s5JDyNU:22

I've reported it as Not Spam but it is unusual for it to be flagged.

David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There is a problem with that in that I collect the emails via an email client and I don't see how it can create a spam folder

As an aside what is the difference between the Spam Folder and the Junk Folder which is there in Webmail

Yes  I do have discard obvious spam selected

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The mail delivery application on the server creates the Spam folder when it transfers messages to the appropriate folders. It's nothing to do with webmail or client software.

The Spam Folder and the Junk Folder listed by webmail are different names for the same thing. I think the real folder on the storage device is called Spam. Junk is a reference name built into webmail and an association table in Settings->Preferences->Special folders links the two together (along with Drafts, Sent and Deleted Items which is really Trash). If webmail shows a Junk folder you should have a Spam folder.

David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes

I do have a Junk Folder so this raises the next question

As the Plusnet email system uses a Junk Folder why doesn't the spam setting say that instead of Spam Folder or more exactly why have different real names

2017-07-10_175224.jpg

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The Plusnet email system has a folder in each mailbox storage area called "Spam". So that is the correct name for the MMM spam settings to refer to.

The Roundcube webmail application has a logical folder called Junk which is linked by its association table to the real folder Spam. Thunderbird IMAP doesn't treat the spam folder as special and calls it Spam. iPad Mail using IMAP similarly treats the spam folder as a normal folder called Spam.

Mail applications (or clients) can logically refer to a folder by any name they choose but that has no effect on the real name of the folder, but the client will need an association table to link them.

David