Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam filter discarding emails despite discard being "off"

arturox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Spam filter discarding emails despite discard being "off"

It is an email "To" me.  So it is incoming.

If I was still using a working FNN/Madas  UI,  I would have created a filter to sort the problem... But we all know the catch

22 of that thought...  😞

I'll summarize the whole Kit n' caboodle...

Somewhile back, It related originally to a misspelt email name, and since using the "This message Is not spam" button didn't ever learn, and I'd asked about this in another thread, answered with the usual, it takes a while to learn, which I discovered it a lot of "gentlemans double hangings..."   😉

It was incoming emails to me being misspelt by one letter in the name preceeding the @ that was the start of it all... an example would be: "freds@myaddress"  being written as "fredz@myaddress", the "s" being replaced by "z"  and yes I asked the people posting to correct it, but it didn't get corrected).  (In the FNN/Madas days it wouldn't have been a problem anyway).

I decided to test if this supposed learning actually worked, it didn't and I gave up...

Move to more recent times and after the start of posting again  "s & z",  I  tested the supposed learning again.

This time by sending a  posting to myself, singly, in batches and en-mass, thereafter going to the Webmail inbox where every one of them, single, batched or en-mass had been Junked, I manually, singly, in batches or en-mass hilighted and clicked the "This message Is not spam" button and they were duly moved to the account Inbox.

The number was in the hundreds, and as of very recently when I test posted again, it had not learned that "fredz@myaddress" is Not Spam.

Thanks

Ax

Nb: The exceedingly simple solution.  Get Users filters into your system.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I wonder if the setting mentioned at https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Location-of-incoming-webmail/m-p/1449078#M19955 has any bearing on the problem you are experiencing? Huh

David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It may do, unfortunately @bobpullen is out the office today so I can't check with him. I've tagged him in the post so he should see this when he's back.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

MAAF customers have very little control over their spam filtering now that the older Webmail interface has been retained.

Problem is, some filters/settings created using the older interface, may still be influencing things and you've now no way to amend/change them.

I would suggest getting in touch with support and asking that they raise a ticket to our network engineers so they can check:

• If you have any filtering rules still in place, and if so what they are
  • What status your spam config is in, i.e. on, off or something else
  • Whether Safemail is switched on or off

Failing that, you can PM me a copy of one of these emails and I'll see if I can kick the spam filter harder than you can press that button Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

arturox
Rising Star

Mmnnnn!!

MAAF customers have NO control now, the old WebMail interface has NOT been retained. We have to use the Plusnet web UI.

My old MAAF filters and settings are working/influencing things perfectly okay thank you.  (So Far).

Yes indeed, we have no way to amend./change them, so it's about time something was done about it.  "Don't-ya-think?"

I'm not going anywhere near your support department...  That would invite a catastrophe, probably in the form of what little working filters /settings we have left being excised completely.  Or worse... (Yes believe me there could be worse).

Yes I have filtering rules in place, but Catch 22 my dear chap, as I can't get at them to view them, it would be difficult to say exactly what they are...

Similarly, I have absolutely no idea what the Spam config status is...

Nor have I any idea about Safemail.

As to the final suggestion... Mnnn! As the "Is not Spam" doesn't ever work, not much point in sending you a mail to play with is there?

Though I guess I could, just for a laugh... Bit like watching someone eat soup with a fork.  😉

I've just realised I don't know how to do that anyway.

How do I send "you" an email that's to me?

I've looked at the "Send Private Message" on the "About Bob Pullen" page and I can't figure how.

Thanks for your thoughts anyway, appreciated.

Ax

I appreciate this comes over as from a GOM, but unfortunately this business is turning me into a GOM.

Ax

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

To supply a copy of a typical email to Bob you could display its source text and copy that into a PM using the </> Insert Code button.

David
arturox
Rising Star

A much simpler idea would be for me to contact him with a specific malformed address so he can then send me an email to the malformed address.

It will get put in the Spam bin ASAP, Job done.

Think I'll do that now.

Ax

arturox
Rising Star

I did that very thing, and I also continue to throw emails of the address I've given him at the mailbox  and then login to Webmail and manually mark them as not spam, but they still, every single one,  in the first instance get auto spam boxed.

I'll do it for a little while longer, well at least 'till I get past 100, then I'll leave and get a life.  😞

Of course at the 100+ point I'll return here and point out again, again, the "This message Is not spam" does not work.

Ax

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

If you've PMed @bobpullen he should get back to you next week.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@arturox wrote:

I did that very thing, and I also continue to throw emails of the address I've given him at the mailbox  and then login to Webmail and manually mark them as not spam, but they still, every single one,  in the first instance get auto spam boxed.

Thanks for the PM.

I've taken a look and your problem appears to be nothing to do with the spam filters.

I sent a message to the malformed 'fredz' address and sure enough it landed in your Junk folder. Upon inspection of the headers though, I see this:

X-CM-Score: 0.00
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.2 cv=G/hsK5s5 c=1 sm=1 tr=0
 a=UAT3Kkq3vlANMAJP8pj4Hw==:117 a=gnRpCA5uQ4EA:10 a=G3gG6ho9WtcA:10
 a=v4R6R0Y0gsO4waCntWgA:9 a=CjuIK1q_8ugA:10 a=JgrzQGyylaCXfujR_uoA:9
 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10

What that is telling us, is that the message has *not* been identified as spam.

If our spam filter had identified the message as spam then you'd see something more akin to this:

X-BV-Spam-Flag: Yes
X-IPAS: Level1
X-CM-Score: 100.00
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.2 cv=HaZkdmM8 c=1 sm=1 tr=0 p=2WQH3sVPAAAA:8
 p=76gJfZNej-0aCQ_eXwYA:9 a=/2T0IQyAR1II8aXEDHpKYA==:117 a=LWSFodeU3zMA:10
 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=tclcd6dtLQvEqt9_mmAA:9 a=Ft8UYL4EG9YA:10
 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=-FEs8UIgK8oA:10 a=NWVoK91CQyQA:10 a=DgSphLbQYMkkDK0H:18
 a=1Vq_FK4TplAA:10 a=NhVScO-HjH8A:10 a=bzIbRHCNvq_RDVFi0sYL:22

Knowingly or not, you have a filter/rule configured somewhere that's doing this - thus the suggestions in my previous post.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

arturox
Rising Star

@bobpullen wrote:

Knowingly or not, you have a filter/rule configured somewhere that's doing this...

Hi Bob, I wanted to give some serious thanks for your work, unfortunately, here in my Firefox browser it is greyed out... I have no idea why.

Anyway for the moment, I'll note here many thanks for your effort.  🙂

To business...

Considering I/we have absolutely no access to previously set filters then I guess the problem is not resolvable.

My FNN/Madas account works like this.

@We have a General catch-all  @mydomain.co.uk mailbox and two named mailboxes, one for My use and one for Her use,

So as default, nothing to do with any filters I've set, anything other than "my@mydomain" and "her@mydomain" is left in the General catch-all box for "anything-else-at-all@mydomain"

Additionally, in the FNN/Madas Webmail interface, I'd set a some filters to filter out a few specifically named addresses from the General catch-all box and put them into the Inbox post box.

Yesterday while searching a backup drive for something else, serendipity stepped in and I found my notes from when I set up the FNN/Madas filters... So I was able to check exactly what I'd set filter wise.

They all do one thing... Obviously with different names.

"If to contains "davez@mydomain.co.uk" then Move to Inbox"  and those filters, set pre Plusnet arriving on the scene are still working.

There are no filters I know of that do anything else other than filter out a few specific addresses... So it's not something I've set.

Obviously I have no idea what other filters might have been set by or in the FNN/Madas system by them.

Strange business!

The only unusual thing I can think of is. While my mail client app logs in and collects the filtered addresses directly from your mail servers, the posts in the "my@mydomain" and "her@mydomain" are redirected to our ISP mailboxes from where they are mail client app collected.

Ax

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@arturox wrote:

@bobpullen wrote:

Knowingly or not, you have a filter/rule configured somewhere that's doing this...

Hi Bob, I wanted to give some serious thanks for your work, unfortunately, here in my Firefox browser it is greyed out... I have no idea why.

Anyway for the moment, I'll note here many thanks for your effort.  🙂

Thank you. I've asked one of our engineers to have a delve and see what we can uncover. Will let you know if we find anything...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Right, think I've cracked it.

You do have server-side filters enabled. Both individual rules, and Safemail from what I can establish.

I'm seeing things like this:

# Message filter rules

if $h_to: contains "[REDACTED]"
then
  finish
endif

if $h_to: contains "[REDACTED]"
then
  finish
endif

And this:

# Whitelisting (addressbook and Safe mail)
if foranyaddress $h_from:,$sender_address: ( $thisaddress contains "@" )
then
  if     $thisaddress is "[REDACTED]" or
         $thisaddress is "[REDACTED]" or

And finally:

# Save spam to spam folder
save /share/isp/fnn/mail/[REDACTED]/.Spam/

My interpretation of these filters:

• You have a handful of from addresses that are whitelisted (possibly your old address book entries). Emails sent from these address should never be marked as spam.
  • You have filters set up to receive email addressed to ~10 to addresses. Mail sent to addresses outside of this list, will be filed into the Junk folder.
  • fredz@mydomain.co.uk is *not* in the list

So, it makes no difference how many times you mark the fredz@ emails as 'not spam' because they're not technically being identified as spam in the first place. It's your custom filters that are moving them to the Junk folder.

I will message you details of the specific filters you have set-up, but my suggestion is that we either remove the filtering entirely, or add an extra entry for fredz@.

I can arrange either of these things for you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

arturox
Rising Star

@bobpullen wrote:

Right, think I've cracked it.

I will message you details of the specific filters you have set-up, but my suggestion is that we either remove the filtering entirely, or add an extra entry for fredz@.

I can arrange either of these things for you.

Thanks for your work Bob, much appreciated.  🙂

I've replied to the private posting...

I'm obviously aware that any posting not in the filter list will be put in the bin, and so  I was assuming anything put in the bin would be considered to be spam, but apparently not... 😉

As per my private posting, my ideal choice is; do NOT remove the existing 11 filters as they are still in use and working okay, but I'd be very pleased if you could add fredz@ to that list.

Regards and thanks

Arturox

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK, will see what I can do tomorrow...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team