cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Email

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Spam Email

If this is the wrong board could a Mod please move it.
I have never had any problem with spam emails until the last few days. I am getting 2-4 spam emails a day.  Has PN done something to its filters that may account for this?
11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Spam Email

Nope, we've not made any changes I'm aware of.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for that Bob.  It's only a minor problem at present but I thought I would ask.
I report all spam to Spamcop. They look at the source info I send them then pass details onto various ISPs for action. Sometimes they pass details to PN. Do you do anything with this or does it just get filed in the bin Wink
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

They get delivered to our abuse mailbox. We don't process each and every one of them but If we get a number of reports about a single source, then we'll typically try and get in touch with the customer.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks Bob. Just wondered what happened to them.
picbits
Rising Star

I've had a massive influx of spam emails to my servers over the past two weeks.
One day was particularly bad with 10-15 spam mails every half hour or so and all from different compromised mail servers / zombied machines.
Every spam message I get now, I analyse and look for patterns then blacklist them in my mail server. I'm back down to 1 or 2 a day but certainly the spammers seem out in force at the moment.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I got hit a while back by swathes of the stuff.
Really sneaky too. Rather than the usual botnet rubbish, this stuff carries many of the characteristics of legitimate email. It originates from valid mail servers with matching reverse/forward DNS, a hostname that relates to the sender address and legitimate SPF records etc.
Because of this, only a fraction of it gets spam-detected and the IP's they're using rotate every day or two. I'm having to take a pretty heavy handed technique by blocking the originating /24's as the messages slip through the net. That, and a few choice RBL's, have reduced it to a handful of messages a day. 
It's really frustrating because I suspect it's all down to a schoolboy error a month or two back when I clicked an unsubscribe hyperlink I thought to be genuine Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

picbits
Rising Star

My new forums were hit by spammers almost as soon as I made them live.
I've changed the authentication questions to something that requires a little thought and it appears to have thwarted them for the moment.
avatastic
Grafter

I've been relying on XBL from spamhaus and greylisting for a while and that seems to do the job. Some servers have started getting through though, so I may have to put SpamBayes back in to the mix again.
I too will take the /24 (or /11 or /18 as I've also been seeing) approach when the offender is from AP/AF/LACNIC.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
appyclappy
Dabbler

I'm getting loads of spam at the moment (like ~100/day) most of which are delivery failure notices with the purported outgoing message being a recognisable spam (stocks tips/get skinny/get a bigger willy etc). As these are seemingly bouncing back to me, is my mailbox somehow compromised and is sending out bucket loads of spam (some of which is being bounced back) or is it just a spammers ploy to make the messages appear to have bounced?
It doesn't seem to matter how many of them I mark as spam, I still get another deluge next time I check.
Any tips?
Cheers
picbits
Rising Star

Unlikely that your mailbox has been compromised but worth checking the originating IP address of the spam to make sure it isn't a PN allocated IP address.
More likely that they are just using your email address in the "reply-to" field and it isn't anything to do with you or your email server.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I suspect you're on the receiving end of this. If so, then there's not much you can do about it, it will stop given time. If the emails are actually originating from your account then I suspect you'll hear from us before long :mand: Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team