cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Somebody from plusnet want to explain or......

ReallyHackedOff

Somebody from plusnet want to explain or......

tell me how to acquire an I.P. address that doesn't leave my life controlled by you
Ref: PBL986099
87.114.0.0/15 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)
http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL986099
15 REPLIES 15
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Somebody from plusnet want to explain or......

I assume you are getting issues when sending emails. Do you have relay.plus.net set as your outgoing SMTP server?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReallyHackedOff

Yes and no.
I have for mails I am sending through PN but I own several domains that are run for various community groups etc. These are hosted in various places. Some I can send mail no problem and some I get this.
As I was happily with Madasafish for 7 years until a month ago and *never* had this, I'm not a happy bunny.
I am not prepared to faff about getting mail from one server and sending through PN.
adie:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Plusnet have no restrictions on the senders domain when sending mail through their server so you should be able to send them all via relay.plus.net by just setting that as the outgoing mail server for all your email accounts.
ReallyHackedOff

Whilst I appreciate you taking the time to reply, the question remains, why should I have to *and* why I am only have this issue with some servers?
Can we read anything in to the fact that the ones that work as they should are paid for hosting and the ones that I am now having trouble with are free hosting services?
adie:quote
ReallyHackedOff

[[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]

oh dear, that confirms my comment in the original post.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: ReallyHackedOff
Can we read anything in to the fact that the ones that work as they should are paid for hosting and the ones that I am now having trouble with are free hosting services?

Possibly - to stop spammers taking advantage of their free service they might well refuse to send mail originating from a dynamic address without some form of user identification. Using relay.plus.net for all your outgoing messages (or just those relating to free hosting) will avoid that problem.
David
ReallyHackedOff

Quote from: spraxyt
SNIP 2 whole lines of text

I get that. What I don't get is the fact that I didn't have this problem up to a month ago. As I was previously on Madasafish which is the same chuffing company, what has changed.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Possibly your Madasafish IP address was a static one so wouldn't appear on the Spamhaus Policy Block List, whereas your Plusnet address is dynamic so does.
Do your free hosting providers provide means to authenticate your connection (using your account details) so their mail relay will accept your outgoing mail?
David
ReallyHackedOff

Madasafish I.P's were dynamic. Can't see any means of authenticating but will search more thoroughly later when I have a bit more time.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Do you collect your mail from the hosting server by POP3? Sometimes 'get' immediately followed by 'send' provides automatic authentication.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: ReallyHackedOff
[[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
oh dear, that confirms my comment in the original post.

Moderators on these forums are other Plusnet users (not employees) who freely give of their time for no personal benefit. If you'd read the forum rules linked from the moderators comment in the modified post you'd have realised that!
ReallyHackedOff

As they say, when you assume .............
I read the "rules" and I see nothing that specifically prohibits me from quoting *2* lines of text.  Had I unnecessarily quoted several paragraphs then the "moderator"  may have had a case for getting all excited.
Moot point anyway, I am entirely certain I won't be visiting these forums again. Reports of the demise of AOL were it seems grossly exaggerated.
Thanks for your input,
jelv
Seasoned Hero

[quote=http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_quote]Use of Quotes
Quotes can be a very useful way of making your reply to a post clearer by indicating which post or part of a post you are referring to.
However using them incorrectly can be annoying and make threads very hard to read.
The following rule applies to the use of quotes.
Only quote the full content of a post if :-
a) it is NOT the post immediately before your reply
b) You find that your reply has been forced onto a new page (then edit in the full quote if it's needed.)
In all cases you should think before quoting and wherever possible only use a part of the post you are replying to in order to make it clear which bit of a post your reply refers to.
The Moderators will remove unnecessary full quotes where they are posted immediately after the post being replied to.
TonySoprano
Hooked

Am I missing something here? why not reboot the router granb another IP?
And if the answer is "Why Should I it was fine on madasafish"
then my advice is its good practice to reboot your router regular because over a period of time the router will establish hundreds of connections to the websites you visit and most will not purge those connections causing potential performance issues and pressure on the routers cpu which may fool you into thinking its the broadband so rebooting your router once a week may result in a better internet experience
If email is a big part of your internet usage then you should consider purchasing a domain with your own email gateway which you can control in a much better way You can get a domain with 10 pop3 boxes and unlimited aliases for around £1.99 per month Hell you would even have your own smtp gateway no need to rely on your ISP Wink