Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smarthosting - Intermittent Rejects AVASOUT06/07

FIXED
Windoze208
Hooked

Smarthosting - Intermittent Rejects AVASOUT06/07

Hi all,

We're not a direct customer of Plusnet. Our phone provider resell for them, meaning they're also our first line support. Unfortunately at the moment I'm hitting a brick wall with them.

For years we've smarthosted our SBS email via relay.plus.net, largely trouble-free.

At the moment we're seeing intermittent bounces as our Exchange talks to relay.plus.net, an example:

The following organisation rejected your message: avasout07.
Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: server.domain.com (OUR ONSITE EXCHANGE)
email@domain.com (DESTINATION EMAIL ADDRESS)
avasout07 #552 WhF84309jkhEfjksljf2Gh message rejected due to spam or virus.
If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

Their first suggestion had the cause being we were on Spamhaus PBL. I didn't believe this relevant. It wasn't just our external IP on there, it was an entire /17 CIDR block. The PBL on Spamhaus is just a list of IP's they believe shouldn't be delivering direct-to-MX email. Which of course, we aren't. I also don't believe Plusnet would reject mail (and only sometimes!) from an IP that they know is theirs, putting more trust into a third party list.

Second suggestion is it's failing because we've no reverse DNS set up. I've managed mail servers for coming up 20 years. I can't ever remember an ISP's relay being fussy about rDNS being set up before they'd accept email. They KNOW it's from one of their IP addresses!! At the far end, the recipient may well want to check there's reverse DNS for where it's received the mail from (which would be Plusnet's kit), which I assume is correctly set up.

A big reason I suspect suggestions 1+2 aren't accurate is email to my own domain was failing. I switched off any filtering my end (Exchange and Vamsoft ORF) - no difference. As the bounce appears to suggest, mail isn't even making it into Plusnet.

I reckoned this may be content based, as some mail would go through, some not. So yesterday we clarted about chopping mails up and hitting send. On two mails that would fail, we managed to find the strings that would trigger a bounce. From the two emails, we found the text strings that were triggering the bounce, and happily, the issue was replicatable. Both the strings were domain names - but a waste of time including them here - as today including them in a mail they both go through!

Anyone have a view on what

avasout07 #552 WhF84309jkhEfjksljf2Gh message rejected due to spam or virus.

means from Plusnet's server when it's unhappy?

15 REPLIES 15
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Smarthosting - Intermittent Rejects AVASOUT06/07

Moderators Note

This topic has been released from the spam trap

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I think you might find this recent thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/552-Spam-Message-Rejected-email-error/m-p/1570524 informative

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Windoze208
Hooked

From the options there...

This will be because our anti-spam filters:-
    1) Don't like the address you're sending from.
    2) Don't like the server the email is being sent from.
    3) Don't like something in the content of the email/signature block.

..it's number 3.

Yesterday we chopped up a couple of emails that wouldn't go through, and got each down to one string of text - each a domain name. Sending a blank message would go through - sending a message with just those two domain names in would be blocked.

My first message said all was well today - in fact it isn't - I was OWA'd into the wrong site - d'oh!

Is there any problem/point posting these domains here - would anyone from Plusnet read/do anything with them?

Useful to know it's "Cloudmark Authority" being used, unfortunately doesn't look to be anything online where you can do a lookup and get a reason for why those domains are on there 😞

Windoze208
Hooked

PS. Does seem odd that it isn't just email arriving from the Internet that's thrown through the filter.. Email from customer IP's you'd think would be trusted, although understand there'll be some this is necessary for!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Is there any problem/point posting these domains here - would anyone from Plusnet read/do anything with them?

I wouldn't, since this is a public forum. PN staff do monitor these forums and offer support.

They will likely ask for the information by Private message (PM) if they pick this thread up.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Windoze208
Hooked

Ok, fingers crossed..... 🙂

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Windoze208 I'm not sure if this can be of any use https://www.cloudmark.com/en/knowledgebase/cloudmark-sender-intelligence/what-should-i-do-if-my-mess... can be of any use . They have a remediation form , might be worth a try...

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

Hi @Windoze208, could you drop me a PM with the domains that you've narrowed this down to and I'll have a look in to that for you. Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Windoze208
Hooked

Cheers HarryB, PM sent!

MisterW, thanks for the link, tried to fill it in, stuck at the IP address part. Leave it blank - doesn't like it. Fill in dummy values, or our external IP, or the ones for AVASOUT06/07.. no joy there either. Message is "That's not us doing the blocking". With it looking like a content-based block though, as opposed an IP one, they don't seem to have their form geared up for accepting stuff like that 😞

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the PM, I believe that should be sorted now.

If it's not quite yet, it might be worth waiting a day or so, but checking the domains provided, they were flagging as spam and aren't now Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Windoze208
Hooked

HarryB, first class - really - that's fixed!

Just sent a couple of tests - straight through.

Any info on how those domains got on there, or just links to info on how they MAY have got on there?

If not no worries, just would be useful to pass on to customers.. I'm sure we won't have been the only site struggling to contact those domains.

Thanks again.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem, glad to hear that's sorted it!

I'm not 100% sure on what would have caused this, however it's possible/likely it's along these lines: https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/552-Spam-Message-Rejected/m-p/1414461#M18635

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ScottW92

Hi HarryB,

I am having the same issue as the poster above. If possible, could I send you a PM with a domain we are having an issue with?

Thanks, Scott

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @ScottW92,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues sending mail.

Feel free to PM me the domain and I'll make sure this information is provided to @HarryB to check the necessary systems.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional