cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow delivery of email!

hamilton36
Grafter

Slow delivery of email!

I noticed recently that my emails take rather a long time to get sent.  Text only emails take approximately 20 secs.  The indicator get ups to 90+% complete in a second or two and then in hangs there for 15 to 20 seconds!  By the way, my main OS is Windows 10, but I also use WindowsXP and Linux occasionally and the email deliveries are equally "hesitant" on all OS, which leads me to believe that this might be a new feature at your end. Grin
If there is an explanation, I'd be grateful to hear it, please.
Many thanks,
Alex
84 REPLIES 84
kdiment
Rising Star

Re: Slow delivery of email!

Maybe a moderator should merge topics "Slow delivery ...", "Recent slow down ..." and "How long to send..." because they all seem to be asking the same thing. What has changed?
  - Keith
artmo
Aspiring Champion

@hamilton36,  I've had exactly the same problem but didn't have a spare hour to hold on the phone waiting for PN to answer Wink It's been like this for a few weeks.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Client and delivery method (POP3/IMAP) would help here folks. Also, roughly when you noticed a change. A test from an Android client just now saw a round trip time of less than ten seconds for me.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Hi Bob, I'm using POP3 and Thunderbird. Just sent an email to myself. It took a total of 22 seconds.
Clicked on send and immediately got a message box 'connected to relay.plus.net' which changed immediately to a box 'Delivering Mail...' and this is where is seems to stall.
This used to be immediate on small messages. I noticed the problem 2-3 weeks ago.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Also getting this morning, "an error occurred with POP3 . Mail server mail.plusnet responded
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

This morning I sent an email from my laptop whilst I was at my club. It went straight away. When I got home I sent the same email using PN POP3 and it took ages to go.
I used Android with Thunderbird on both occasions.
I think this suggests the problem may be with PN POP3 as Lucerne has stated in the previous post.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

TBH I'd expect IMAP to be the differentiator here, and not POP3. With IMAP, the email has to be copied to the server. With POP3 it's stored locally.
What outgoing port are people using and are they using SMTP authentication?
I've just sent an email from a Plusnet POP3 account over port 25 using SMTP authentication and it's arrived in the destination mailbox (non-Plusnet) approximately 2 seconds later Huh
Edit: Just noticed something interesting. All three posters reporting problems in this thread are assigned IP's in the  46.208.0.0/16 subnet.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hamilton36
Grafter

Bob,
With respect, it does not matter what one is using, but the fact that emails started "hanging" prior to delivery and without the users changing anything on their computers!  I just replied to an emial and it went in 2 seconds. A few days ago it would have been 20+ seconds!!!! So, when something goes wrong no one knows what or why and when the fault disappears no one knows why!!  You should be able to do better than this!
Alex
dick:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: hamilton36
... and without the users changing anything on their computers!

If I had a penny for every time I've heard that Wink
Quote from: hamilton36
I just replied to an emial and it went in 2 seconds. A few days ago it would have been 20+ seconds!!!!

Your IP address has changed, so I expect we're onto something with the edit to my previous post.
@artmo @lucerne, can one of you send a couple of test messages and PM me with the from address/to address and the approximate time of sending?
Edit: No need for those PM's. We've found one of your messages in the logs and can see a 28 second delay from authentication to the message being accepted. I've raised an incident and asked our engineers to take a look (ref: 89083). I'll provide updates as I receive them. In the interim, if you're having problems, then try a disconnect/reconnect until you're assigned an IP address outside of the affected range.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

philby

For the last 3 days I've been unable to download my email.  Been having to rely on webmail.
Am using Ritlabs The Bat using POP3 but have changed nothing at my end.  Perplexing!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm not sure that's related to the issue being discussed. Might be an idea to start a new thread?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Morning Bob, just wondering if you have any solutions to our slow mail delivery Wink
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: lucerne
Also getting this morning, "an error occurred with POP3 . Mail server mail.plusnet responded

Same happened just now!
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No solution yet. Still requires some digging. A temporary fix is to disconnect/reconnect (from/to the Internet) so you're assigned a different IP.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team