Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since changeover

FIXED
JohnBux
Fixes: 1

Since changeover

Joined Plusnet fibre broadband at end of January and now I cannot send e-mails via outlook. All the settings are the same as they have always been, and are from many years ago as they are tiscali.co.uk based and have remained the same for possibly 15 years all through changes of provider, including plusnet some years back, Talk Talk and even BT.

The annoying thing is that mails come and go on my mobile using the exact settings, apart from the incoming server  on mobile is IMAP, on PC it is POP3. Outgoing server on both is SMTP port 587, but when I attempt to send a mail on my PC, the message appears telling me my type of encryption is not the same as the server, incompatible is the description. There are 4 types of encryption posssible, None, Auto, SSL, and TLS but changing the settings pop up to any of the four and attempting to send a mail, gives the same error message. Surely no encryption cannot cause the delivery to fail.

Please can some one help as talking to plusnet brought the response "I cant help with plusnet settings", so how did the settings work with all my previous suppliers, without alteration but not any more.

5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Since changeover

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Email.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@JohnBux 

Hi. Have you checked your settings against the Plusnet specified settings at https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Dave

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@JohnBux It looks like your IP address is listed on Spamhaus PBL which means that the originating server you're trying to send from isn't 'authenticating' properly. It'd probably be easier to use our outgoing mail server instead. Can you try setting up your Tiscali emails on Outlook to use relay.plus.net as the outgoing server?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JohnBux
Fixes: 1

Fix

After making this post, I waited to see if anyone had any ideas, but suddenly about 2 hours later my wife asked if I had sent her a mail. She showed me the mail on her phone and it was one of the 2 that were "stuck" in my outbox due to the problems I had encountered sending in the last 2 weeks.

I went to my PC, and as I opened outlook it was obvious the messages that were stuck there had gone and were now in sent items.Who knows how or why.

The settings were as they had always been in the tools> accounts section but now my outgoing mail is back up and running. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Glad to see this is sorted now!

Let us know if there are further issues or anything else you'd need help with

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet