cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I move my email and webhosting to PlusNet?

BertCoules
Grafter

Should I move my email and webhosting to PlusNet?

I've been with PlusNet as my ISP for a good many years, but in all that time (and for some years before) my email and domain  provider has been Easily.co.uk.
I've been wondering if it wouldn't be tidier and more sensible to transfer to PlusNet for these services.  I don't have any particular problems with Easily (though just lately the email service has actually been somewhat erratic) - I simply wonder about the advantages of having everything under the same roof, so to speak.
Would there be any point in changing?  What are the pros and cons?  Many thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Should I move my email and webhosting to PlusNet?

Registering your domain with Plusnet would undoubtedly be more expensive.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
BertCoules
Grafter

Ah, thanks for that.  As I said, it's really just a feeling of tidiness that prompts the question.  Is it usual, then, for people to use two different companies for hosting and broadband services?
Strat
Community Veteran

These days I would say generally yes.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
BertCoules
Grafter

In that case, I'll leave everything where it is.  Thanks for your help.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

I'll add that you don't need to have your domain registration with PlusNet to use their services. What you do need to do is to use their DNS servers which you can do by a) having your registrar popint your NS records at PlusNet's servers and b) raise a ticket with PN support to have the domain added to the DNS. You do then have to live with the limits of PNs DNS - no AAAA, TEXT, @ records for example.
Personally, I only do this to use the bundled web space - which isn't included in newer packages anyway.
I don't use PN for mail, I've run my own server at home for many years. It was a source of great frustration that when using PN's DNS servers, until a few years ago your couldn't not use their mail servers as a backup - which meant that a) I lost a lot of mail because they ****ed up the config, and b) I got a lot of spam because (as noted above) all the spam went through their servers and bypassed my greylisting. At one point I took my DNS elsewhere even though it meant not using the webspace because I was so frustrated dealing with 2nd line support that seemed to know less about email and their systems than I did  Angry
I get the impression that mail services may have improved. I hope so because they couldn't have got much worse than they were. So if you're happy with your current provider, then I'd say stick with them. Contrary to what some ISPs may tell you, and many people believe, you do not have to get all your services from one place.
BertCoules
Grafter

Many thanks for that.  I'll leave things as they are.
community
Grafter

a VERY WISE DECISION Bert
Remember "better the devil you know than the one you don't know"...........
BertCoules
Grafter

"The Devil I Know" - or Easily.co.uk - has rewarded my intended loyalty today with what appears to be a complete crash of its email system.  Or perhaps just my bit of it: my account seems to have disappeared.  Windows Mail, which usually does unattended sweeps for new mail every five minutes, has started to ask for a username and password but if I enter the correct information it isn't recognised.  And the Easily webmail service reacts to my attempted login with "Unknown user or password incorrect".
And Easily tech support is Monday to Friday only...
That VERY WISE DECISION doesn't look so clever, just at the moment.  Is anyone else out there using Easily?
BertCoules
Grafter

As of earlier this evening, everything is back to normal.  There's no mention of any problem, let alone its cause or an apology, on the Easily website though.
And it wasn't just me, apparently.
Strat
Community Veteran

I did check their service status and as you say...nothing Huh
BertCoules
Grafter

I emailed their tech support yesterday, and though I didn't expect an answer before Monday I actually received one today.  It said, in part, we had temporary login issue with our mail server which has now been resolved.
So their proof-reading (or their grammar) is a tad dodgy, too.  And on top of that, they got my name wrong...