cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheffield Hallam University blocking Plusnet mail?

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Sheffield Hallam University blocking Plusnet mail?

Never had a problem emailing a friend at Sheffield Hallam University (*@shu.ac.uk) until today, when I have twice received the following rejection message:
554:Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's (84.93.230.235) poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server avasout07.

I'm assuming the Plusnet server has been blacklisted for some reason - any ideas as to what can be done about it please?
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Sheffield Hallam University blocking Plusnet mail?

Only one list that I can see http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a84.93.230.235
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Last time it was Trend Micro doing it
JayG
Pro

Thanks guys - it's only about a 10 minute walk from Plusnet Towers to the main SHU campus - it's a lovely day here so perhaps someone from PN fancies a stroll down there to ask their IT department why they have suddenly decided to be so beastly!  Roll_eyes  Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Wash you mouth out with soap  Shocked
Walking  Crazy
They might use the Plusnet bicycles though http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/07/13/plusnet-staff-take-part-in-new-and-improved-cycling-progra...
JayG
Pro

Anyone familiar with the current state of Sheffield's roads would probably feel much safer walking!  Wink
JayG
Pro

Just had an exchange of emails with my friend at SHU so the block appears to have been removed.
Thanks if anyone at PN was involved (a Usain Bolt or Bradley Wiggins wannabee I suspect.)  Undecided  Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Nothing done here as far as I'm aware. The error looks like it's an RBL that Sheffield Hallam are using that refused the mail rather than anything we were doing this side though.
Quote from: Oldjim
Last time it was Trend Micro doing it

I've checked all of our IPs against their lookup tool and none of them are listed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JayG
Pro

Thanks Bob!  Smiley
Glad it got sorted quickly by whatever means because the email was quite important, although you have to be a bit suspicious about a piece of kit that blocks your attempted email, and at the same time advises that if you think the block was applied in error that your best course of action is to, in effect, ring or text the intended recipient!  Roll_eyes  Tongue