cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up mail on an Iphone 6

kezzajane

Setting up mail on an Iphone 6

Hi

I'm trying to set up mail for a force9 email account on an iphone 6, I've entered all the settings as per instructions on here:

incoming server: imap.force9.net

username + mailbox

outgoing : relay.force9.net

server port: 587

SSL off

I can send messages but can't receive them.

Can anyone help please - the less technical the language the better! Assume I'm a bit of a luddite! Smiley

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Setting up mail on an Iphone 6

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Cannot receive them or just cannot see them?

When you set up the account on the iPhone, did it asset that verification of the servers was successful?  If yes, then it is more likely that you simply cannot see the emails. 

In the settings for the mailbox, go to ADVANCED and put inbox into the IMAP Path Prefix.  I do not know why this is required sometimes, but sometimes it is!

inbox might need to be inbox/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kezzajane

Hi, thanks for your reply. I presume It's not receiving them as I get a message saying 'imap.force9.net not responding'  I've added the IMAP path prefix as you suggested but this has made no difference...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

AH!!  An important additional bit of information - sharing any error message given is essential to understanding the issue being experienced.  This suggests an issue with the IMAP settings.

In that case you have an entirely different issue.

Has this ever worked?

When you make changes to the account settings on the phone, does it go through the verification process and report OK?  Are you connecting over WiFi on your Plusnet connection or over some other connection (3/4G or wifi hot spot)?

How is IMAP configured - Use SSL on port 993?

Have you tried 'unloading' the mail application (press home, scroll for the mail app and swipe it up off the screen) and restarting it?  Sometime the mail app gets into a pickle and it needs a kick.

Also I've had email accounts on idevices totally foul up, requiring them to need to be deleted and reinstated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kezzajane

Hello!

No it's never worked on this phone (I only got it last week) but worked on my previous iphone with exactly the same settings. The verification process is ok & I've tried it over wi-fi & 4G

The port I'm using is 587 - I've just tried using the port 993 but it didn't like that & I got the same message..

I've just deleted the mail app & the mailbox & entered the details again & now I get the error message 'this IMAP account has already been added to your phone'  Aargh! 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Port 587 is for SMTP (outgoing)

Port 993 is for IMAP with SSL (incoming)

Use over 3/4G at this stage does not help - ideally you need to be on a Plusnet supplied wifi service.

There is another scenario which can give rise to this profile of problems - is there a very large mail item in your mailbox?  Can you take a look using webmail?  Sometimes very large items can cause connection time outs.

kezzajane

I've tried this evening using wifi & checked my mailbox, there's nothing in there over about 45kb.

This is so frustrating!