cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up email on ipad

ivanhoe
Dabbler

Setting up email on ipad

I have been trying for two weeks to set up my plusnet email account to a new iPad.
I've followed all help assistant directions to the letter. I can set up the account and it will receive mail but NOT send them.
Angry
Plusnet unhelpfully suggest contacting Apple, apple suggest contacting plusnet   Cry
I have another email address set up that is working fine. Tried imap/pop tried different ports tried everything I can think of, any helpful suggestions very welcome.
20 REPLIES 20
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Setting up email on ipad

poll removed
You could try deleting the account and putting it in again as that sometimes works
What are the settings you are using for the outgoing mail server
ivanhoe
Dabbler

Hi Oldjim thanks for reply.
I have deleted several times to no avail.
Outgoing settings are: relay.plus.net    Port 25 if remember correctly.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I assume that you are trying to send emails via the Plusnet router
ivanhoe
Dabbler

Yes.  Like I say I have another business email account that I set up and is working fine. Just keep getting message "outgoing server rejected email" message when I send from the plusnet email.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

A basic question
With the business email are you using a different outgoing server and are you sure that the iPad is connecting to the Plusnet Router
If you are then there must be a problem with the Plusnet server settings - have you got "this server requires authentication" ticked as you shouldn't have
ivanhoe
Dabbler

The other email is a different server; SMTP.eaisly.co.uk
I am presuming it's connecting to the router, I can receive email on the plusnet address.
It's not saying It needs authentication,  the message reads "the recipient was rejected by the server". Regardless of who the recipient is.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Ivanhoe,
As a simple test can you try sending an email to userna@username.plus.com where username is your PlusNET username.
The error you report can be seen because there is an issue with one of the TO email addressees.  This email address can be caused by the domain name of an address being invalid.  PN's SMPT servers do a first pass validation of addressees, if one is found to have an immediately identifiable error, the above error condition can be returned.
Also some other details to confirm.  Are you on a subscription account of a free account?  You cannot use the SMTP service when not connected to the PN network if you have a non-subscription account.
Can you SEND emails from any other device with the configuration below?  It is possible that something is screwed with your email settings on the server.  That will need some assistance from PN support.
OldJim is quite correct; apple platforms can completely screw-up their email account configurations, no matter how many times you correctly edit the settings it will not work.  You have to delete the email account and start again.  Note in some cases a cold reboot of the iDevice will also fix the issue.
The SMTP settings should be as follows...
Server: relay.plus.net
Port: 587
Username: PNusername or PNusername+mailboxname if for a secondary email box
Password: account password or secondary email box password as appropriate
When the iDevice tests the connections it will take a little while to fail (twice) in each case say "yes" to "try without SSL".
HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ivanhoe
Dabbler

Hi townman thanks for replying.
I have tried the test you suggest and got the same rejected message.
It's the free email account. Still works fine on my old laptop, sending and receiving.
And can send mail from the iPad on the business address to the same "rejected" recipients.
Have deleted and reinstalled account several times with numerous combinations of settings.
It seems to set up fine, get the ssl message twice as you say, but then can only receive mail.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It's the free email account
So you don't have a PlusNet broadband account ?
As Townman says, you will not be able to use the PN smtp server then. You will need to use your business email smtp server to send all mail.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ivanhoe
Dabbler

Yes I have plusnet broadband account.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are you using the Plusnet BB account username/password for authentication OR the free email account ones ?

ivanhoe
Dabbler

I'm using the email username and password
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

They won't work. You need to use a username/password that is associated with a subscription account

ivanhoe
Dabbler

I have one set of username and passwords, they're the same ones used on my laptop and that works fine.