cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up email from my own domain using relay.plus.net

Dotty2

Setting up email from my own domain using relay.plus.net

Hi,
I've finally managed to set up my own domain email to send messages via relay.plus.net on my Windows 8.1 notebook (using Windows Mail) and my Android tablet.
For this to work I have had to remove authentication and sign in from outgoing settings. i.e. I have un-ticked "my server requires authentication" and therefore have not entered a username and password for outgoing mail.
I'm pleased I can send mail, but am now concerned that I have left things rather vulnerable. I tried with "my server requires authentication"ticked,and then entering my plusnet account username and password, but this did not work.
I do not have a plusnet email address (well, there might be one, but I have never used it)
Have I done the right thing? Have I left my email vulnerable? Should I go on a computer course? (I seem to spend hours on this topic every time I change any technology)  Undecided
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Setting up email from my own domain using relay.plus.net

Regarding outgoing mail - there is no security risk as you don't actually sign in to send mail only receive it
Dotty2

Thanks for that quick response - I'll just leave everything as it is then.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

However, you will only be able to send email when you're at home i.e connected to your Plusnet router. If you need to send email when away from home, say connected to a free wifi hotspot, then you will need to use authentication.
Although your PN username/password should work, I suspect you need to have a PN mailbox for it to work, so it might be worth creating one ( even if you don't use it!).
See the authentication smtp setup guides here http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/ .
Note, once you've setup authentication it will work both at home and away.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.