Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Seamonkey

mickeblue
Dabbler

Setting up Seamonkey

Hi there!
Can anyone give me a quick run through for setting up SeaMonkey mail?
Since last weeks big webmail glitch my install of SM stopped connecting to the server ~ I tried un/reinstalling but I'm not having any luck so I'm probably doing something wrong ( and I'm still waiting for a response from tech support ~ maybe I'll grow a beard! ).
Any advice would be appreciated.... thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Chaa006

Re: Setting up Seamonkey

Quote from: mickeblue

Do you need to know how to read Plusnet mail using Seamonkey
(in which case I have no experience, and therefore can't help)
or how to read some other IMAP server and send via Plusnet's
SMTP relay (in which case I might be able to) ?
Details for "other IMAP server/Plusnet SMTP relay" are as follows :
Server type : IMAP server
Server name : Fully qualified DNS name
Username : your username for that server
Connection security : as required
Port : will be automatically set when you select correct connection security
Outgoing server : Relay.Plus.Net
Port : 25
Don't use name & password
Connection security : none
Works as of 11:00 today with a Microsoft Exchange IMAP server.
dick:green Quote tags fixed.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Perfect fodder for a Community Library article! I'vev taken the opportunity to create one which you can find here. Remember, *anyone* can create Community Library support articles, it's not limited to us staffers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mickeblue
Dabbler

Quote from: Chaa006

Do you need to know how to read Plusnet mail using Seamonkey
(in which case I have no experience, and therefore can't help)
or how to read some other IMAP server and send via Plusnet's
SMTP relay (in which case I might be able to) ?
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Quote tags fixed.

Not exactly Chaa006... mainly 'cos I'm not a Plusnet user ~ why the heck does madasafish.com link to these forum pages??? I gave up trying to set up SM ( but I hadn't seen Bob's reply at that point ) and instead installed Thunderbird. Still fun and games as the intuitive settings that TB wanted to use wouldn't work either - and the tech staff at madasafish are madder than fishes ( absolutely no use whatsoever ). Figured it out in the end and have put my own page up for other Mozilla users ~ http://www.mickeblue.co.uk/madasafish.html
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

why the heck does madasafish.com link to these forum pages???

Why wouldn't it? It's one of the brands we look after and we can provide support to Madasafish customers in the same way we do Plusnet's.
I gave up trying to set up SM ( but I hadn't seen Bob's reply at that point ) and instead installed Thunderbird. Still fun and games as the intuitive settings that TB wanted to use wouldn't work either

That doesn't surprise me, they don't work for Plusnet either. TBH I don't really like this feature of Thunderbird 3.
... the tech staff at madasafish are madder than fishes ( absolutely no use whatsoever ).

That surprises me as they shgould be more than capable of talking you through Thunderbird's account set-up wizard.
Figured it out in the end and have put my own page up for other Mozilla users ~ http://www.mickeblue.co.uk/madasafish.html

You could just of easily have created that page on our Community Library site. If you have problems in future with this sort of thing, then it sometimes helps to check the Plusnet support pages for articles like this. The only thing you'd need to change are the email server addresses.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mickeblue
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob

... the tech staff at madasafish are madder than fishes ( absolutely no use whatsoever ).

That surprises me as they shgould be more than capable of talking you through Thunderbird's account set-up wizard.

I would say that very much depends on who comes on the other end of the 'phone. The first person I spoke to told me to make sure 'use secure authentication' was checked and try again in 15 mnutes ( giving the server time to reset??? ). The second person told me to un-check that feature, but suggested that it was a faulty install and I should try re-installing TB.
Smacks a bit of covering all the options if you ask me  Roll_eyes , not that either of these provided a solution.
Still at least it's working now... if the mail server gets up and running again! It was the fiasco with the server a couple of weeks ago that resulted in my old SeaMonkey install packing up on me.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Still at least it's working now... if the mail server gets up and running again! It was the fiasco with the server a couple of weeks ago that resulted in my old SeaMonkey install packing up on me.

We're in the process of moving the POP3 servers to another data centre at the moment. Once they've been brought back online we should have things up and running again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team