cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Plusnet email in Outlook Windows 10

Frustrated6

Setting up Plusnet email in Outlook Windows 10

Hi

Apologies if this has already been asked but I'm having problems setting up my plusnet email in Outlook (Windows10)

I have tried all the guides and it keeps coming up my email is out of date. I know I am putting the correct password in but I just can't get past it! any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Setting up Plusnet email in Outlook Windows 10

Welcome to the Plusnet Community forums. Smiley

Unfortunately the description "Outlook" can be applied to a number of different programs. Is it the standalone Outlook 2016 application that you are trying to set up?

Please could you also confirm that you have an active broadband subscription with Plusnet. Until that stage is reached receiving messages with Outlook is possible but not sending them using the Plusnet relays.

Are you able to log into webmail (https://webmail.plus.net), reading and sending messages there?

David
Frustrated6

Hi David

Thanks for coming back to me. As far as I know it is 2016, when I click on about it just says outlook mail version 17.8600.40525.0.  Yes I have an active broadband subscription with Plus Net but I can't send or receive any emails since setting it up, it hasn't retrieved any emails at all.  I can log into webmail no problem but I keep getting a message saying my email is out of date and asks me to put in a password, I am putting in the password but nothing changes I just keep getting the same error message.  I know this password is correct as I can access webmail.

Frustrated6

Hi David

I've managed to get it working...not exactly sure how, but I think I had my user name as my email address (as it suggested in the notes) but changed it to my Plus Net user name and it seems to have sorted it. 

Thanks for coming back to me though, much appreciated!

spraxyt
Resting Legend

I'm pleased to hear you managed to sort the problem out. Thumbs_Up

Setting up ISP email on Outlook can be tricky since it insists on trying to guess server names (and gets them wrong) even if you choose manual set-up. Users have to be on the ball to over-type incorrectly pre-filled text box information.

David
Frustrated6

Thanks David.  Yes it was a bit of trial and error with all the different info from Outlook/Plus Net/Forums obviously different settings work for different people, but I got there in the end.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You aren't running Outlook though! That version number is from the default Windows Mail client.

Windows Mail (NOT Outlook!)Windows Mail (NOT Outlook!)

The many faces of Microsoft Outlook shows just how confusing Microsoft's naming is.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thank you @Browni - that explains why my installation of Outlook 2016 is version 16.x.x.x. Huh

David
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

This is my version...

officeversion2.png

spraxyt
Resting Legend

My Office product is Professional Plus 2016, Version 1708 Build 8431.2107. However Outlook 2016 within that is version 16.0.8431.2046. However the main thing here is that the original query was resolved.

David