cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server error: '452 Too many rcpts in time period from this IP

hrumpole

Server error: '452 Too many rcpts in time period from this IP

I am working in the USA and have successfully sent 50 emails since 1st August. I now get "Server error: '452 Too many rcpts in time period from this IP'" whenever I try to send an email. Whilst appreciating the need for controls, limiting users to 50 emails from overseas in a five week period is ludicrous.

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Server error: '452 Too many rcpts in time period from this IP

@hrumpole you may want to read this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/452-Too-many-rcpts-in-time-period-from-this-IP/td-p/1833986 where the problem is being discussed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hrumpole

Discussion isn’t resolution. Sending 50 emails over five weeks, most to single recipients, should not cause restrictions on email. Two were sent to 14 recipients (using reply all), eight were to two recipients. Looks like I need a new ISP.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

@hrumpole wrote:

Whilst appreciating the need for controls, limiting users to 50 emails from overseas in a five week period is ludicrous.

The rate limit is volume per hour from a specific IP address, not per user account.  How are you connected to the internet?

Are you connecting via your own dedicated IP address or connected via a VPN service or other private network using NAT?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hrumpole

In that case, all I can say is that the rate limit per hour is way too low, as it must be measured in fractions of emails per hour.

I was connected over the broadband from our house in Florida, not using NAT or a VPN..

The maximum number of emails sent (or attempted) in an hour woudl have been two or three, two of which on one occasion woudl have been to 10 or 12 recipients using "Reply All" . All other emails were porbably at the rate of one or two a day, to single recipients, or in a couple of cases, two recipents.

This is something new, as we have never had this issue in the past (even as recently as April/May).

As this adversely affects my ability to work whilst overseas, unless Plusnet are going to significanlty adjust their blocking alogirithm, I will hav eno option but to move ISP (after 25+ years).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Looking back in this topic to November 2021 there was an inference of something being adjusted.  I have asked the business to double check that history.