cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate email address for wife

JIP
Dabbler

Separate email address for wife

I'm sure this must have been asked a thousand times, but I've tried search terms that produce far too many returns to try to plough through.

Myself and wife have our own computers. The Plusnet Broadband Account is in my name. 

What I want is to set my lovely wife up with her own email address, through Plusnet, in such a way that we only download each other's emails.

Is that possible - and if so how?

Thanks

JIP

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Separate email address for wife

On the left hand side select "email settings".

Select "Manage my email".

Click "Create new email address".

Step 1: Give the name (your wifes name or initials or whatever).
Step 2: Deliver to a new mailbox with its own login and password.
Step 3: Enter new password and confirm password.

Step 4: Make a note of your new mailbox account details. DO NOT use an email client to access mail. Just use webmail.
JIP
Dabbler

Thanks for reply. But if this can only be done through webmail, not Outlook, why should she not just set up something like a gmail acount?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create the new address in Plusnets email settings and use an email client if you want. But Plusnet doesn't use encryption (SSL/TLS) on it's imap or smtp servers. So all your email and login details are sent across the net in clear text when you use a dedicated client.

See my earlier post where I talked about this: https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Problems-with-Webmail/m-p/1442235#M19736

You can get around the problem of your main account details being sent in clear text by creating ANOTHER email address and using that. But it doesn't stop those details from being sent in clear text either. So you could do as follows...

yourdefaultplusnetusername@defaultusername.plus.net (this is your main account / only use webmail).
yournewplusnetusername@defaultusername.plus.net (this is a new account and password for you).
yourwifesplusnetusername@defaultusername.plus.net (this is a new account and password for your wife).

You can still use the bottom two addresses with an email client, but it's still insecure to do so until Plusnet implements SSL/TLS on imap and smtp and I would highly recommend against doing so for security reasons.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@JIP

Given how bad the Plusnet email infrastructure is (there is a very long thread elsewhere about it), I would suggest that your wife does use Gmail.

Not only is it more reliable but then you are not tying yourselves into your ISP so if you move from Plusnet, you don't have to tell everyone your new email accounts.

Also if you signed up to Plusnet today, I believe that you have to explicitly ask for an email account so that is not confidence making for the future (to me anyway)

edit for spelling

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@JIP wrote:

why should she not just set up something like a gmail acount?

Precisely. There's no point to ISP provided email in this day and age. It just creates headaches if/when you leave, and as others have mentioned, given how flaky PNs email is, it's definitely best avoided
JIP
Dabbler

Thanks for all the replies - very thought provoking - going back to the drawing board now!

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@JIP wrote:

Thanks for reply. But if this can only be done through webmail, not Outlook, why should she not just set up something like a gmail acount?

If you want to your wife can use an email client to handle her emails. Client set-up is similar to yours but her username is entered as accountname+mailboxbane (including the +) with the mailboxname password.

Others have mentioned SSL/TLS secure connections have yet to be released.

David
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@spraxyt @JIP

And yes Gmail does allow the use of external email clients AND it is secure (unlike Plusnet)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT