cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending of password did not succeed 2

kilburncat
Grafter

Sending of password did not succeed 2

I've been trying to set up 3 accounts on Thunderbird 3 and for 2 of them I get an error message when I first open Thunderbird "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.plus.net responded:log in failed"
I've been to webmail to ensure that the passwords matched the accounts and they do so I don't know why I get the message, particularly as I can send and receive ok. Could it be something to do with aliases? The three account names are all directed to the main account, and if one works ok why is it that the other 2 don't?
12 REPLIES 12
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Sending of password did not succeed 2

I don't understand what is different now from what was happening when you started your earlier thread?
If your email client is connecting with your main account but not with the other mailboxes, then I think it must be caused by a mis-match between the username and  password associated with each of the subsidiary mailboxes. Is Thunderbird trying to connect to your default Plusnet account each time, but using the individual passwords for the other mailboxes?  And why do you have three account names (presumably three mailboxes?) "all directed to the main account"?  Surely this defeats the object -- unless you are getting confused between setting up mailboxes and setting up aliases?
You might benefit by starting from scratch and deciding whether you need mailboxes or aliases?
Best wishes
Chris
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@kilburncat,
Could it be something to do with aliases? The three account names are all directed to the main account, and if one works ok why is it that the other 2 don't?

I think ChrisL has got it right, you appear to be confusing 'aliases' with mail accounts. An 'alias' is not a mail account , you cannot log in using the alias name you can only log in to the mail account to which an alias is directed. The alias name is only used to redirect any incoming mail to the correct mail account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kilburncat
Grafter

The main account is surname and the 3 "accounts" are john@surname.plus.com, bill@surname.plus.com and fred@surname.plus.com. The john@ works fine but the other 2 don't. Maybe I am using the wrong term and I have just one account with 3 prefixes. Do you know how I would set up Thunderbird 3 to enable me to receive and send from these addresses? On the PlusNet E mail set up I have directed all three names to go into the surname mailbox.
Thanks very much for your help btw.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, here goes...
Thunderbird settings for each account
----------------------------------------------------
Account settings
Email address - user@surname.plus.com e.g bill@surname.plus.com
Outgoing Server - use default
Everything else - whatever you like
Server settings
POP Mail server
Server name - mail.plus.net
UserName - account name+user e.g for bill@surname.plus.net it would be surname+bill
User Secure Connection should be set to never
---------------------------------------------------------
Outgoing server settings ( should be ok as it is common to all accounts )
Server Name - relay.plus.net
Security and Authentication - ensure 'Use name and password' is unchecked.
Let us know how that goes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kilburncat
Grafter

I'm afraid that's far worse. By putting surname+prefix on all 3 accounts I now get 3  'sending of password failed' messages instead of just 2  Embarrassed
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, lets step back a bit .
Can you login to webmail ok with the same username/password combinations you are using for Thunderbird?

kilburncat
Grafter

The username/password (which is the same as surname/password) work fine in Webmail. I am using this combination in Thunderbird.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In that case it looks like it could be a Thunderbird 3 issue. I'm still using Thunderbird 2 I'm afraid.
Looking at the release notes for 3 it seems to have a new Account Setup Wizard which says it only needs the email address. I'm not sure if that's going to handle the PlusNet username/password format. I'm trying to find the manual so I can see what the differences are...
Meanwhile lets hope someone actually using v3 comes along.  
Edit : this thread http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/bypass_automatic_e_mail_account_set_up_i_e_manua... makes interesting reading Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I've located this guide here http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/nexus/email/thunderbird3/index.xml.ID=body.1_div.1
and it doesnt seem to be that different once you can get to the 'Server settings' for each account.
Check the settings there are showing server type as POP and the port number is 110 as well as the username is correct in case some of the settings have been incorrectly set by the Wizard.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

[quote = MisterW]Ok, lets step back a bit .
Can you login to webmail ok with the same username/password combinations you are using for Thunderbird?
MisterW is asking whether *all* the different logins you've got set up in your email client work on Webmail.
The username/password (which is the same as surname/password) work fine in Webmail. I am using this combination in Thunderbird.

It sounds like you've only tried logging in using the default username and password in Webmail.

The issue is that you only have 1 mailbox set up which is username@username.plus.com, to log into this the username and password are the default details for your account.
The other 3 addresses are *aliases* not mailboxes, there is a distinct difference. Aliases redirect mail sent to them into a specified mailbox, in your case the default mailbox for your account.
If you want these accounts all separate, so mail for each one is received into a separate account then they need to be set up as mailboxes, not aliases.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Chris , that's what I suspected earlier. Its obviously much easier to check when you've got access to the account as you have. Wink

kilburncat
Grafter

People must think I'm mad, I sometimes end up answering my own question. I don't have to reset my mailboxes, Chris, I just click the 'Manage Identities' button on the main account and set up the sub-accounts that way. I had done it on Thunderbird 2 and had forgotten how, it was such a long time ago.
Thanks for your help anyway.