Did you mean: 

Sending mail from a non-Plusnet connection - SMTP authentication

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Sending mail from a non-Plusnet connection - SMTP authentication

Quote from: daveharris
Quote from: Bob
We've no immediate plans to open up port 587 or enable TLS encryption I'm afraid Sad

That seems like a real shame given that most decent ISPs have been doing this for upwards of 6 years. (I had thought of Plusnet as a decent ISP by the way, and have been with them for as long as I can remember, stayed with them for 4+ house moves and made many referrals)
I have my iPhone on Orange and have never had any problem sending email through plus net using my user & password for authentication. But I now have an iPad on Three, and they block all port 25 smtp servers except their own, and their own is staggeringly unreliable. Even when I get an email sent, it often returns as undeliverable. Drives me mad after being used to using plus.
Plus net, you must have hundreds of customers who have phones or mobiles devices like iPads or tablets on the Three network and since they allow port 587, surely it's time to catch up with the rest and help out your customers at the same time??? Please?Huh

Another vote for that. Just moved from t-mob where there was no problem sending via plusnet on port 25 to three where I can't send without changing servers all the time!
artmo
Aspiring Champion

A vote from me too.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have found a reasonable workaround that works on an android phone and don't see why it shouldn't work on other devices. I am using the gmail servers to send using my gmail account. You also need to set it up in gmail so that the mail looks like it comes from the incoming addressand replies to that and not the gmail account. the only downside is you can still see that it has been sent via a gmail account on the incoming header. Thats not a problem for me though.
PT
zxcvbnm
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Doesn't seem to be working for me. I can send normally but as soon as I start using authentication it gives an error.
I tried both username and username@plusdsl.net with my normal password.
Now it is saying I've failed to authenticate too may times and to wait till later.
My guess's are;
My copy of thunderbird three is too old.
I'm entering the wrong details.
Or it does not like the fact I do not send from a plus.net email address (I have my own as do several other members of my household).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's username or username+mailbox.
My guess is that your mail client defaulted to putting security (eg SSL) on when you tried using a login - security must be totally off.
Which mail client are you using? Tell us that and we can advise further.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zxcvbnm
Rising Star

I was using thunderbird 3. I also tried the basic ultrafunk popcorn email client. I was careful not to turn on the encryption.
I do not have a mailbox as far as I know so I just put in my username and when that did not work my username@plusdls.net
I was not using a plus.net email address as my reply address.

535 authentication rejected
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

What 'from' email address you use shouldn't matter, any proper address should be accepted.
username@plusdsl.net is your broadband username which is used (only) for connecting your router to the internet. Since you don't have additional mailboxes the username and password you use for SMTP authentication are the same ones you use for logging into the Member Centre.
To make sure authentication works on your account I suggest working through the steps set out in Customer Support Library article Testing SMTP Authentication using Telnet .
David
zxcvbnm
Rising Star

Quote from: spraxyt
What 'from' email address you use shouldn't matter, any proper address should be accepted.
I suggest working through Testing SMTP Authentication using Telnet [/url].

Thank you for that. Very handy to know should be possible. So I tried again. The telnet think still gave me "authentication failed".
Then I tried creating a mailbox to see it it would work with that added to my username and it did work! Then went back to trying just my regular username and it still worked.
So there you go. The answer was that you can't use smtp authentication until you have created a plusnet mailbox, even if you are not using it. Who knew. 
Thank you for the help. All working now, fingers crossed.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Bob,
I have been having this same problem as Artimo:
Quote from: artmo
No problem with incoming mail but outgoing will only let me send to a maximum of 8 recipients at one time, irrespective of message size.  I checked all my settings and they are as advised. The error message I get is:
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Too many messages received from your host ( xx.xx.xx.xx ) in a short period
of time. If you feel this is incorrect or if you have a legitimate reason
to send a large number of mails in a short period of time via our server,
please contact our support centre who will be happy to discuss this

Seemed odd but I wonder if this is to try to limit spam Undecided

I am on a fixed IP address from my connection in NZ, and was trying to send a reply email to 11 people and it kept failing over the course of the last 24 hours. I also tried to do the same from the webmail tonight from here, and it was still failing with the same message. In the end I have had to drop a few people off the message to get it to send, but that will cause problems as not everyone got my reply.
As others have said 8 seems a bit stingy a limit, and I was surprised that this limit of 8 addresses applied no matter whether I tried to send via Outlook, or via my Android phone on wifi, or via webmail. I got the impression from this thread that you were able to help artimo by tweaking/whitelisting your response to his non-Plusnet IP address. If this was the case, I would be most grateful if you could work a similar magic on my logged IP address from this post.
Thanks

Mike
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Mike, what PN did was to suggest I altered my outgoing settings to a local ISP (Tampabay roadrunner in my case)  Once I did this my problem was solved.  Bob Pullen was the man who sorted this for me.
bigal

Hi, I'm new to Plusnet having migrated from another ISP who now are American owned.  For years I have used Outlook with very little trouble but since moving to Plusnet I cannot use Outlook as it tells me there is a "Send & Recieve error" I consulted Plusnet two days ago and the support guy chekced all my settings and told they were fine and it just needed the signal from the server resetting then everything would work, he said this would take around 3 hours.  It is now over 24 hours and still nothiong has happened.
Also, I am unable to set new folders with sub folders and was told this would be cleared when the signal was reset and should work in around 30 minutes.
Needless to say nothing has happened again.
It seems most strange that Webmail works fine but anything except Plusnet will not work........ Angry Cry Embarrassed
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you got security turned off? That's the most common error (SPA and SSL should NOT be enabled).
The configuration guides can be found here: http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/index.shtml?supporta=emailsetupguides
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bigal

PLEASE,
Can someone tell me how to get a response from the people at PLUSNET support?????????
I have made numerous requests via the relevant channels and no one seems to be capable of answering my problems.
I cannot get Outlook working on PLusnet despite their peple telling me everything is set up correctly.
Also I cannot get the folders to operate as they should on Plusnet Webmail.
I am new to Plusnet and find their support worse then British Gas and thats saying something.  Undecided  Angry  Sad
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Did you look at the link that jelv posted for Microsoft Outlook? full eMail Setup for Microsoft Outlook 2011, 2010, 2007 and 2003 is there.