cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending limit

harry
Dabbler

Sending limit

Does plusnet have a limit on the number of emails that can be sent?
I presently have a postal mailout with about 900 names for a non profit organisation. For cost reasons I'd like to encourage recipients to change to email. Just wondering if I would have any problems if half the people decided to accept the email offer -- would I have any problem sending SMTP to 500 people via plusnet ?
Messages would be individually addressed (ie one message per recipient, not one message with a lot of recipients). It would happen at the most about 5 times a year and would only be sent to recipients that request it.

6 REPLIES 6
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Sending limit

I'm surprised you'd be taking the trouble to send them out individually. I can't see why a limit would apply in that instance.
In terms of mass-mailing here's a partial answer to your enquiry - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95671.0.html - so splitting into large batches looks like it would be fine even if you can't send one email to 500 in one go.
That topic suggests an alternative method.
There's also limits of 150 to 250 mentioned in this topic: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,99477.0.html.
However both topics are several years old so an update on the current situation from PlusNet would be useful assuming it's not in an FAQ somewhere.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you are sending out a bulk mailing address the email to yourself with all the other recipients BCC so they won't see anyone else's email address
harry
Dabbler

I send them out by mailmerge in thunderbird, to ensure that the recipient's real name appears in the message.
That's probably not necessary in all cases, but it is sometimes useful when a whole family or office group uses the same email address -- and it possibly reduces the likelihood of somebody else seeing the message and reporting it as spam.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Going back to the original question it shouldn't affect things but I suspect that there is a minimum time between emails being sent to pick up spam bots
The problem is that I very much doubt that the information is or will be made available for fairly obvious reasons
Is it possible to tell Thunderbird to send the emails at predetermined intervals
harry
Dabbler

Looking at the documentation ... yes, it looks like there is another addon which allows messages to be delivered at a future date or time. So that's a possible answer, but will take a bit of working out.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Just to add a few months back when I was testing my email server I'd written, I needed to hammer the hell out of it by sending it thousands of emails.
PN seemed to cope pretty well with it. Admittedly the server did stop accepting emails sometimes to slow me down but after an hour or two it let me continue. I'm glad to report my email server handled everything perfectly well.. and then I found the component I'd used didn't support UTF-8  Roll_eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!