Did you mean: 

Sending issue.

FIXED
rockposer
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Sending issue.

Afternoon,

The last couple of days I've started getting issues sending emails getting the following response:

SMTP Error 451 saying I'm attempting to send spam which is not the case at all. Never had this issue before

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Sending issue.

Fix

That error message suggests that a lot of email is being sent on your account.  That might suggest that your account has been compromised.  The general advice in this stock answer might help you...

Reset email password

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

If you are not able to login to the email address using webmail, then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has has its password changed. Where email address passwords have been changed to protect the integrity of the service, the account password is left unchanged.

Plusnet / Force9 / FreeOnline users can only change the password on the DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the user ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

Brightview users (Madasafish / FreeNetName / GlobalNet / IC24 / ICScotland / Dialstart / Totalise) logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address. If you cannot recall the account password, you will need to contact support ... because the account password change process sends an email to the mailbox you cannot now access.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the relevant user portal. If your email service is NOT a retained legacy service (one associated with a retired internet service account), then the password required by the router to connect to the internet will be changed too. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password yourself and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

Also, are you sending a new item or replying to one you have received?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Silverwhistle
Grafter
Fixes: 2

This happened to me. I've changed password, but still cannot send emails. The outgoing server keeps demanding authentication but doesn't accept it.

Silverwhistle
Grafter
Fixes: 2

I had thought the 'spam' thing was because, in frustration with the 'send' problem, I'd tried to send same message too many times. But it looks to me as if there's a problem with outgoing servers.