Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending email with GPRS phone via O2

billg810
Dabbler

Re: Sending email with GPRS phone via O2

Quote from: spraxyt

For clarity please could you confirm the exact settings which work.

The settings which work are:
SMTP server: relay.plus.net
Port: 25 (Port 587 doesn't work; 'Communication error' produced when I tried to use it)
SSL off
authenticated using Plusnet username
with password appropriate to username
then it works with
sender address: mymailbox@username.plus.com
whereas
sender address: anothername@****.com (where ****.com is domain with forwarding service)
does not work.
I hope this is clear. Thanks for your help.
billg810
Dabbler

Quote from: Bill810
Port 587 doesn't work; 'Communication error' produced when I tried to use it

Correction: port 587 does work. I'm not sure what went wrong the first time I tried it. So the settings which work are:
SMTP server: relay.plus.net
Port: 25 or 587
SSL off
authenticated using Plusnet username
with password appropriate to username
then it works with
sender address: mymailbox@username.plus.com
whereas
sender address: anothername@****.com (where ****.com is domain with forwarding service)
does not work.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

That's all very strange!
Outlook doesn't seem to do any checking on the account email address, but it looks like O2 do check it.
But it's got nothing to do with O2, you're sending via the PlusNet server, relay.plus.net which doesn't check it. I suspect it must be something to do with the Nokia client. If your phone has wifi it would be interesting to try it on your PlusNet connection when you get home.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

billg810
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
But it's got nothing to do with O2, you're sending via the PlusNet server, relay.plus.net which doesn't check it. I suspect it must be something to do with the Nokia client. If your phone has wifi it would be interesting to try it on your PlusNet connection when you get home.

Thanks for this clarification. I agree that it looks like it is the Nokia client that is doing the checking. It is interesting that it only does this for outgoing mail, as I could receive messages when I was using the 'wrong' email address. It is presumably part of the client's smtp authentication procedure. My phone doesn't have wifi, so I won't be able to check it on my home PlusNet connection. I suppose it might be worth asking Nokia, but I'll leave that for the moment.
Thanks for your help.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Thanks for posting the summary of what does work, including that both ports 25 and 587 work.
I find it strange that this works with 'plus.com' as the sender domain since this differs from the SMTP relay domain 'plus.net', just as '***.com' (forwarding domain) is different. I wonder if the Nokia client allows sending only if the named sender has recently done a receive?
David
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

It's very strange!. From what I can see the Nokia 206 is a symbian S40 phone, I've still got an N95 (also S40) but have never used it for email. If I get time I'll have a play with that and see what I can find out.
I happen to have a domain that's not with PlusNet so I can replicate what Bill810 is doing, but on Wifi.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NedLudd
Grafter

I had no trouble with my N95 (about 4 years ago) sending and receiving via my own domains. If you do have a problem then ...........................!
Geoff,
York.
billg810
Dabbler

Quote from: NedLudd
I had no trouble with my N95 (about 4 years ago) sending and receiving via my own domains. If you do have a problem then ...........................!

When I use my PlusNet account with Outlook, I am sending via PlusNet (mymailbox@username.plus.com) and receiving to my domain (myname@*****.com), which forwards messages to my PlusNet account (mymailbox@username.plus.com). The email address that I entered when setting up my Outlook account was myname@*****.com. This effectively acts as a return email address, and, as far as I can see, doesn't come into play at all when I send messages. I tried to have the same setup with my Nokia client, but, although I could receive messages, I couldn't send any.
Quote from: spraxyt
I wonder if the Nokia client allows sending only if the named sender has recently done a receive?
When I set up the Nokia client with myname@*****.com as the email address, the client downloaded the headers for all my messages on the PlusNet server, which had been sent to myname@*****.com. Then, when I tried to send a test message, it didn't work. When I set up a new Nokia account with mymailbox@username.plus.com as the email address, the message headers were again downloaded, but this time I could send a message; in this case, the named server (mymailbox@username.plus.com) was different to the one the incoming messages had been sent to (myname@*****.com). So the possibility you suggest doesn't seem to be the case.
Perhaps the surprising thing is that Outlook allows you to use any email address, rather than that Nokia doesn't, as this could lead to someone entirely different from the sender receiving return messages, either by accident or through malicious intent.