cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending email via wifi on iPhone

ginnym
Grafter

Sending email via wifi on iPhone

I have an iPhone 4 (without any signal problems!) on Vodafone.  I can send/receive email OK using my home wifi or the Vodafone network. However, I can't send email if I use the wifi network at my office, I get an error message saying the Plusnet server can't be accessed. I can receive messages OK.
Vodafone say it's not their problem, work say it's not theirs so is it something to do with the Plusnet settings?  I'm using imap with relay.plus.net as the outgoing server on port 25 and authentication set for password.
13 REPLIES 13
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Sending email via wifi on iPhone

On a PC on the office network I suggest you try testing the ability to access the Plusnet SMTP server using Telnet: http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/21 http://community.plus.net/library/email/testing-smtp-authentication-using-telnet/
It may be that the office's ISP is blocking access to port 25 on servers outside their network.
Edit: Just found an updated article in the library.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ginnym
Grafter

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go on Monday when I'm back in the office.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: jelv
On a PC on the office network I suggest you try testing the ability to access the Plusnet SMTP server using Telnet: …
Edit: Just found an updated article in the library.

Thank you for drawing attention to the tutorial needing an update. I've edited it to cross-refer to the Community Support Library article. Smiley
David
David
ginnym
Grafter

Hmm, I've just tried the Telnet thing but didn't get beyond the first instruction - I got a message that says "could not get connection to the host on port 25, command failed".  I don't know whether I did something wrong with the first command or whether that means port 25 is blocked.  My work IT people insist that port 25 isn't blocked.
How do I get someone to check my Plusnet account to see if SMTP authorisation is allowed?  I've been a customer for years so could it be that my account hasn't been updated to allow it?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your account is subscription based so SMTP authentication is allowed.
If you can't connect to relay.plus.net on port 25 then try pinging it.
ginnym
Grafter

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that (I'm not very technical).  I tried following the Telnet instructions in the support article but didn't get beyond the first line before I got an error message.
dick:quote
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Try the telnet instructions from your office computer, assuming it's on the same wireless network as your phone.
To ping, open up a command window (start -> run -> type 'cmd' then press OK) and type 'ping relay.plus.net'
ginnym
Grafter

OK, I've pinged and it said:
Packets sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0
Rount trip time Minimum 42 ms, Maximum 44 ms, Average 42 ms
So does that mean port 25 is open?  If so, why can't I send emails from my iPhone, iPad or laptop?  I need to narrow down whether this is a Plusnet issue, Vodafone or work wifi so that I can sort it with the right people.
PS  sorry about the quoting - didn't realise we weren't supposed to!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

So does that mean port 25 is open?

No, ping uses a different port, but it does mean that you can 'see' the PlusNet mail server from your ofice network.
TBH it is looking like your office connection is blocking access to port 25 to other than its own mail server.
Do you know which ISP provides your office internet connection ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ping just shows that you have basic connectivity, we now need the results of the telnet test from an office PC please.
ginnym
Grafter

I typed telnet relay.plus.net 25 into a command prompt and got the following "Connecting To relay.plus.net .....  Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed"
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your internal network is definitely blocking the connection then, please speak to your IT people and let them know that telnet failed to connect, they should sort it for you.
ginnym
Grafter

Thanks for all your help Ben, I'll get back on to our IT people.