cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending email via wifi / ipad

gary396
Grafter

Sending email via wifi / ipad

Having been unable to send emails from my iPad recently whilst abroad on holiday using various wifi points I've just checked the forum advice on this so can I please check that the following settings are what I need for next time:
Outgoing mail server is already set to relay.plus.net but user name and password are blank (greyed optional) - so do I just need to enter these?
SSL is set to 'off' - does this need to be changed?
What about the server port number 587 does that need to changed? Anything else please?
Thanks, Gary
3 REPLIES 3
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Sending email via wifi / ipad

When roaming (i.e. not connected via PlusNet) you need to provide a user name & password for the relay server. The user name can be either a mailbox ID (normal way of writing username+mailbox) or main account username (obviously not a good idea to use this one as the info is not secure while sending) with passwords corresponding to whatever you choose to use.
If you can, access your PlusNet email settings and simply add a new dummy mailbox just for this reason, then simply use that login info for the relay server.
That's RPM to you!!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You can use SMTP authentication on your home WiFi connection too. Then no need to make any changes to email settings when roaming.
David
gary396
Grafter

Many thanks for the replies - will test next week when away on business. Thanks again.