cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending email via Plusnet SMTP server abroad

dkklee

Sending email via Plusnet SMTP server abroad

Hi, I use the Plusnet SMTP server (relay.plus.net) to send out personal emails on my mobile devices (eg, iPhone, iPad).
I use password authentication on port 25. My email is of the form someone@plusnet_hosted_domain.co.uk
This works fine in the UK when my device is on a 3G network or a wifi network. However, it fails when I am overseas. Is this blocked as an anti-spam measure? Is there an alternative solution?
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Derek
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Sending email via Plusnet SMTP server abroad

Some networks block access to port 25, other than to their own servers. I use authenticated smtp when in Portugal both on Wifi and on the Vodafone 3g  network so its not a general overseas problem. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dkklee

Hi MrW,
Interesting. Of the overseas wifi networks, one includes a domestic network hooked up to the French ISP wanadoo.fr. I could send out emails via a SSL-protected Exchange server but not through relay.plus.net on port 25.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Yep, Orange/Wanadoo are definitely one who block port 25. You should be able to send via their server though. Its just a matter of finding what it is and then ( temporarily ) changing your outgoing server details. If you use Thunderbird for example you can setup multiple outgoing servers and select which one to use when sending.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.