cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending email through VPN

Monkey1

Sending email through VPN

Hi,

Have recently subscribed to Nord VPN and am having issues trying to send emails through their server.  I know my SMTP settings are correct, but every time I am logged onto the VPN and try and send an email I get an error message: Username / password incorrect.  I know that this isn't as I can send emails when not connected to the VPN (I do have to reboot my laptop / phone, however to do this).

My outgoing SMTP servers are entered:

relay.plus.net

plusnet username

plusnet username password

port 587

security: none

I am using Android on my phone and Apple MacBook with Applemail..

Thoughts?

Many thanks

Kieren

4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Sending email through VPN

Check your VPN's guidance on SMTP PROTOCOL. May well be your current Security setting needs amendment.
You need to ensure you have SMTP Authentication turned on, as you would when away from home and sending
e mail from a non PN server.
Monkey1

Hi,

Thanks I did check this but it still doesn't work.  How can i check if SMTP authentication is turned on?  I can check my email when I am on a non-plus.net service, but when I am connected to VPN, I keep getting the error message saying my username or password is incorrect (even though I know it isn't).  How can I check my security settings?

Very frustrating!

Any thoughts?

Kieren

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Depends on what your e mail client is, but look in the account settings.
Here are my Outlook settings to help.

SMTP.PNG

Monkey1

Hello again,

Still having issues with my VPN.  As mentioned, when I am trying to send an email (via my Mac or Android) when connected to VPN, I get a message that the password for my relay.plus.net server is incorrect.  As mentioned, when I am not connected to the VPN server, I can send emails via relay.plus.net without any issues.

I have checked the port (it is set at 587) and SMTP authentication is set.

I know the password is correct (have reset this multiple times).

Very frustrating.

I travel a lot, so need the VPN but not able to send email when on the move is not useful!

Many thanks

Kieren