Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending email on Lycamobile

FIXED
digitl
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sending email on Lycamobile

I am running my Galaxy S23 Ultra on a Lycamobile SIM. I can send and receive email on wi-fi but without wi-fi I can only receive emails.

I'm convinced I've got SMTP set up correctly but am wondering if Force9's (my account) SMTP requirements, 'password sent insecurely' in particular, are not compatible with Lycamobile? My only doubt is whether Security should be 'none' or 'SSL' but it fails to send on both.

Anyone any thoughts? Anyone else seeing the same issue?

9 REPLIES 9
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 105

Re: Sending email on Lycamobile

Hey there @digitl when it says optional for the username and password for the SMTP have you filled it in or left it blank?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
digitl
Rising Star

Hi Will

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've filled both in.
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Ah ok, and just to be sure as well, out of curiosity have you tried the Plusnet servers as well? Rather than the F9 ones?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
digitl
Rising Star

I haven't, but I will. I'm travelling at the moment so will give it a go as soon as I can.
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, thank you! If it doesn't work let us know and I am sure one of us will be able to advise further.

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 164

For SMTP servers on the correct port 587 the encryption (aka security type) should be STARTTLS (not TLS or SSL).

The rather excellent email client of iPhones works this out for its self!

If your email client does not offer STARTTLS (that is it is not standards compliant), you could try the deprecated configuration for SMTP using port 465 and TLS or SSL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

digitl
Rising Star

Thanks for the suggestion but emails were still refusing to send. Then, once I went back to entering my user name again, it works. The user name was definitely correct in the first place as it had all worked with previous providers and I'd not changed anything. Weird.
digitl
Rising Star

Fix
Hi. As you will see below I've got it working but with no reason why! Thanks for your help. Appreciated.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 433

@digitl  on mobile networks , IP addresses are shared by many users using CGNAT and can therefore sometimes aquire a poor reputation due to other users. If this happens , the smtp connection will be refused with a 'poor reputation' error, unfortunately most email clients are really bad at reporting the error and just report an authentication problem. Poor reputation often gets cleared after 24 hrs and so it may be you got caught by this rather than a username/password error.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.