cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send and/or receive yahoo emails using a plusnet account.

Mooney

Send and/or receive yahoo emails using a plusnet account.

I am a recent plusnet account holder and am able to both send and receive plusnet emails from there. My problem is that I am having trouble arranging an account setting to receive my yahoo emails.  I would also like to be able to send them from there.  I can send yahoo emails using my online yahoo account but cannot receive any from there.  Any ideas please?
12 REPLIES 12
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Send and/or receive yahoo emails using a plusnet account.

You will need to go in to your Yahoo! account settings and set up your Yahoo! mail fore POP/IMAP from there.
Hope this helps.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

That option has vanished from yahoo mail settings again recently. I've been having trouble with it as I also can't login via pop or imap and keep getting the bad username / password message along with too many bad login attempts.
Checking the settings page in yahoo today after reading MCs reply, the pop3 option has completely vanished.
I've contacted yahoo and all i keep getting is that their engineers are trying to fix it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mooney

Thank you to MC and 7up for your advice.  I had been with Zen prior to my switch to Plusnet on the 18th Dec.  There were no email problems with them when I wanted to receive Yahoo emails and I was expecting the same service from Plusnet. 
If this is only a glitch on the part of Plusnet, then I can only hope for the best but I will not hold my breath.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

How are you specifically trying to access Yahoo Mail? What device, OS, email program/web browser and if using IMAP or POP3?
That's RPM to you!!
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If you were able to use Yahoo with Zen and haven't changed anything in your e-mail client, then it should just work. I get time-out errors now and again, but these are often corrected at the next attempt.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
7up
Community Veteran

I still can't connect to Y! mail at all.
7up
Community Veteran

No idea why I never thought of this before..
I have a second yahoo account. I've just logged into it successfully so their pop3 and imap IS working, they're just being difficult with my main account (mind you, I did download over 11k emails in one day  Cheesy )
Mooney

Thank you all for your advice.
RPMozley.
racedemon
Dabbler

My Yahoo mail has been down for days now. I've been unable to receive my emails to my Outlook client, but it's sends fine. Then I go to the yahoo webmail site and can check my email there, it;s working to some extent but cannot view pictures and can't do other stuff like view sent emails. Yahoo are having some major problems at the moment!
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Since my previous post, I made the mistake of logging in to Yahoo for webmail access, and POP3 access stopped working immediately (logout and then try POP3) Shocked Cry
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
7up
Community Veteran

I'm afraid yahoo are extremely difficult with their pop3/smtp/imap. They've played me around for years turning it on and off.
I've now got my access back but i know it will not be long before they turn it off again. I had to keep pestering them via a support ticket to get it back this time.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeeGee
Since my previous post, I made the mistake of logging in to Yahoo for webmail access, and POP3 access stopped working immediately (logout and then try POP3) Shocked Cry

Yes I had a similar fault to this yesterday but I found a rather clever way around it that works well. There is clearly some sort of security restriction in force that yahoo won't admit to because this involves logging in to the same account using their alternative address system.
Yahoo allow you a main email address but they also allow you a secondary one (along with all the disposable email addys). A fact that yahoo do not publish is that you can also LOG IN with the second email address id - the bit before the @.
So my imap and smtp went dead yesterday. I knew they were playing at something as I've also been testing the connection using a php script which lets you see the raw errors. So I did the trick above - used my alternate email address id for my login. Suddenly everything works again - including the php script.
This clearly indicates that yahoo are enforcing restrictions on your username at yahoo but they've forgotten to do the same to your alternate user id that is created and joined to your email account  Wink