Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure email / Outlook on Android stopped working

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Secure email / Outlook on Android stopped working

On my (Plusnet!) Android mobile phone, I have traditionally used Outlook for my home email, using IMAP into the Plusnet servers.

Yesterday, it stopped working (another - non-Plusnet - email account on Outlook continues to work). I tried several methods to get it working again, and failed. Along the way, I saw a message in a forum somewhere that hinted that Outlook now REQUIRES a secure connection, which would explain things 100%.

So, I'm now having to use BlueMail for my Home PlusNet email....  it seems to still allow non secure email connections.

But this raises a very important point: Plusnet, why don't you support secure email yet? If I have email set up on my mobile device, and will often use a public wifi hotspot: there is a possibility that someone could easily be doing some sniffing, or a simple proxy / MITM attack, and would be able to see my email login details. If the email used SSL, then this would NOT be an issue.

In this modern world, I really am surprised that PlusNet STILL doesn't support secure (ie SSL / TLS) email

6 REPLIES 6
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Secure email / Outlook on Android stopped working

@paul_blitz wrote:

In this modern world, I really am surprised that PlusNet STILL doesn't support secure (ie SSL / TLS) email

In this modern world I'm really surprised anyone still uses email provided by their ISP.

Aside from the security implications of doing so, it becomes a PITA when/if you leave/migrate to another ISP.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

So can some-one suggest a free advert free service that's secure for sending emails? I have a secure means of receiving them but currently send through Plusnet..

Please no data mining US conglomerate suggestions!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

I'm sure I've recommended them before

https://protonmail.com/

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Ah, well I don't use my Plusnet email address for any email: I have my own domain, and just forward my email through Plusnet (which means, if & when I change ISP, I just change who I send my email to).

So, it would be very easy for me to move my existing email to ANY provider (which is why I've started looking into it)

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@paul_blitz 

If your emails go through Plusnet's system then they are being sent over an unencrypted link. 

@DaveyH 

The problem is that Proton mail is web based and does not allow me to use Outlook 2010 unless I pay for the upgraded service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi @paul_blitz My experience is 100% the same as your's. Bluemail was pretty good I recall but they are snooping and storing your mail too you know Smiley Like you I wanted to have my emails secured but not pay for the privilege so the compromise was  use gmail / outlook. For me it ws the lesser of two evils. I got the encryption but had to give up my data to Microsoft.