cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Email WHEN?

Kwak
Rising Star

Secure Email WHEN?

A few years ago I was looking at plusnet email settings and was surprised then that they didn't allow any security. So for example if you logged on with a laptop when away from home, you could get you  content and password sniffed snooped and hacked.
Fast forward a few  years to the future and 2013, no rocket cars yet  Grin But now everyone has smartphones and of course many people will be setting them up then using open wifi to check their email to avoid data charges, and amazingly, plusnet seem to have made NO effort than I can see to rectify this  :'(.
How many of the plusnet customers know that if they set up their phone/tablet, then walk about checking their email on WIFI etc, any tom dick or harry could be viewing all their email contents and also getting their plusnet username and password to play with the PN account? As far as I know, that's the case is it not, please correct me if I'm wrong!
I'm literally shocked   Shocked that they still seem to have done nothing about it by now. Surely this is a very valid point in 2013? This isn't  the 1990s where 99% of email access was likely on one of plusnets modem connections, it's a time when access over open connections is surely quite common and only going to get more common, but plusnet haven't moved at all with the times  Sad
How about a new advert with the guy sitting in the pub checking his email on the open router his phone found, and the geek (or worse) across the street (or who works in the pub) is sitting reading them too while the brass band plays. Would that quite possible scene be approved by PN marketing people?!  Tongue
4 REPLIES 4
toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Secure Email WHEN?

I agree, I'd much prefer to access my PN emails using SSL encryption.
Failing that happening in the near future, would it be possible to implement a system where you can assign a different password to your email than is being used for your PN account? Not ideal I know, but a little better than the current system.
It would also allow the user to assign a very long, incomprehensible, randomised password for their PN account and a less secure, but memorable password for email for those occasions when you need to access webmail from someone else's computer.
Or am I being mind-numbingly stupid?
Cheers,
Tony
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well to achieve that you'd want to set up another mailbox on your account, and just use that for your emails.
That's RPM to you!!
keithwalton

The webmail site uses https,
that's an encrypted form of transmission of such things like login details
toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: RPMozley
Well to achieve that you'd want to set up another mailbox on your account, and just use that for your emails.

Ooh, excellent idea. I'd completely forgotten about that option. Last time I looked at playing with mailboxes was before the existence of wi-fi (I'm an old fart) and the options weren't useful for me at the time. Excellent thanks.
Quote from: keithwalton
The webmail site uses https, that's an encrypted form of transmission of such things like login details

I appreciate that. But webmail is horrible to use on a phone.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's much appreciated.
Cheers,
Tony