Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary mailbox

FIXED
Brian9
Dabbler

Secondary mailbox

Hi All

Many years ago added a secondary mailbox and use it today and also have mail boxes in my full name when joining plusnet but forgotten how to setup another secondary box or plusnet has changed the rules as I've spent ages with aliases\redirects etc-

1. Can't find secondary mailbox on plusnet although I can receive\send emails?

2. I want to add another mail box but not have my full name showing?

Example when joining would have mailboxes like emailtome@myfullname.plus.com and my secondary mail boxes would be like emailtome@engineer.plus.com

So can someone stop all this doing my head in and say "it's all simple here's how"

regards

33 REPLIES 33
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Secondary mailbox

@Brian9 I don't quite understand your post, but in a nutshell, if you want another mailbox, the only way I've known for the nine years I've been here at least, is to create one on the 'manage my email' tab in 'Manage my Account'.

The set-up is fairly easy, but as I haven't created a new mailbox for quite a while , I'm afraid I can't give you step-by-step instructions, but if you have a look at the manage my email tab referenced above it should guide you through the procedure.

John
jab1
Legend

Re-reading your original post after a cup of coffee, you seem to have got something wrong. When you set up your account with PN, you choose a 'username' - which doesn't have to be yours, but many seem to use that - and you get a Primary mailbox in the format 'whateveryouwant@myusername.plus.com'. You cannot have one in the format of 'xxxx@somethingelse.plus.com' , the system just won't - or certainly shouldn't - allow it.

John
Brian9
Dabbler

Thanks for your interest but I recieved your and other email in my secondary mail box and .

from my example received emailto@engineer.plus.com

In using a email box like this no one knows my name except plusnet...there must be a way of hiding your name to send and receive emails.at Plusnet as the only alternative is say gmail

jab1
Legend

I'm sorry, Brian. I don't know how long ago you set this up, or how you did it, but when I joined, as I say, 9 years ago, you chose a username - in my case it was 'xxxxxxxn' where the x's made a word and the 'n' was a number - no reference at all to my name, and that was my 'domain' where all mail from the 5 boxes I have come in - e.g. mbox1@xxxxxxn.plus.com, mbox2@ and so forth. You CANNOT have two usernames.

John
Brian9
Dabbler

Just to add in my secondary email box, emails go back at least 12 years and probably longer and maybe plusnet have stopped this but allowing old secondary boxes to still be used.

Brian9
Dabbler

Well that was my startup fault with plusnet in using my real name for emails and that is why I set up another mail box that didn't have my name like the example previously given emailto@engineer.plus.com

jab1
Legend

I admit to being totally bemused at this, so I'm going to tag one of the SuperUsers who might be able to fathom this out and help you, but he is not always around, so you may have a wait.

@Townman - can you help on this, I'm totally confuddled?Smiley

John
Brian9
Dabbler

Thanks

If he can see my email address on registering for the community it might confuse him as well 😕

jab1
Legend

He will only be able to see what you or I can on this forum - like you and I he is a customer, not a PN employee, but one with a wealth of knowledge and slightly more insight to the PN setup.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

This all sounds very confused.

Each user has an email domain @yourusername.plus.com - the bit on the right of the @ you cannot change as an addressable mailbox name, it is ‘burnt’ into your account.

When setting up email box access from an email client, you can give it whatever description you like, but if you use yourusername as the server access userID then the mailbox being accessed will be primarymailbox@yourusername.plus.com

If you set up anotheremail using the email management tools, the you access that mail box using the username yourusername+anotheremail - again you can put whatever email address into your email program, whilst it might change the display name, it is still anotheremail@youruseraccount.plus.com

If you created your Plusnet account as yourfamilyname then, as the account creation screens warns, that will be visible in places, such as email addresses - viz fred@yourfamilyname.plus.com - that you cannot change.

In days of old, it was possibly to have a domain name connected to an account which had nothing at all to do with the Plusnet account name. For example if you owned the domain microengineer.co.uk and pointed it to yourusername PlusNET account, the email address fred@yourusername.plus.com could equally be addressed as fred@microengineer.co.uk

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Brian9
Dabbler

Thank you for your reply and hope I've explained the following properly for you to understand.

Well I'm beginning to think plusnet have changed the rules..but have three email boxes like ###@engineer.plus.com and six with  ###@username.plus.com. But getting close for my other ###@engineer.plus.com email box in that I sent an email from my NEW secondary mailbox ###@engineer.plus.com to another ##@engineer.plus.com and ##@username.plus.com and it works BUT sending any emails from ##@engineer.plus and ##@username.plus.com to my New email box  and it is rejected and keeps asking for a password, well I've tried every password I know even original password when I joined Plusnet..and nothing works.

I'm using Thunderbird if that affects anything and have checked that all the email addresses connections etc are the same for ###@engineeer.plus.com

Brian9
Dabbler

.......Just to add if everyone is confused by my posts:-

I could send two emails to anyone here privately and one would be for example friend@myrealname.plus.com  OR emailme@engineer.plus.com  and all I'm trying to do is add another email address for example reply@engineer.plus.com

I could add other email addresses for @engineer.plus.com in the recent past but for some reason can't do it now and still can't find my @engineer.plus.com names on plusnet, and all plusnet lists are @myrealname.plus.com which was setup originally.

jab1
Legend

@Brian9 , because this sounds as though we are missing some vital piece of information for some reason, I'm going to leave it with @Townman unless I get a inspiration. BUT as we have both pointed out, you can only have one Plusnet domain - '@whateveryoucreatedatsignup.plus.com', where the bit before .plus.com is your user name - as said above this is hard-coded into your account.

John
Brian9
Dabbler

Thanks

When using thunderbird and going to account settings it just list my secondary email address i.e. ###@engineer.plus.com and going to write it lists everything including ###@myname.plus.com.

The problem might be I can't find my secondary mail i.e.##@engineer.plus.com on plusnet to add a new mail for example reply@engineer.plus.com??? but of course can add as many as I want for ##@myname.plus.com but as mentioned before want to send emails without my real named mentioned.

Also as mentioned before it was a big mistake to use my real name for emails instead of something like ##@engineer.plus.com so a warning to others and a shame I'm stuck with my real name and can't change it.