cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seamonkey POP mail

ke1thd1an3
Dabbler

Seamonkey POP mail

Just got a new PC with Win 8.1 on it. Not sure if this is a Win 8.1, a Seamonkey 2.29.1, or a 'me' problem.
Terrible problems setting up POP mail using Seamonkey 2.29.1 and Win8.1. I have 2 Gmail and 2 Yahoo accounts (  Embarrassed I know, I know...)
I receive emails fine, but if I'm attempting to send , I get a popup box requesting my SMTP password. I enter what I think is my smtp password, but it gets rejected.
So now I'm unsure what my smtp password is  Undecided
Is it, as I've seen somewhere here, the same password I use to get into the Plusnt members site, or is it something else, like...give me a clue?
Anyone?
9 REPLIES 9
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Seamonkey POP mail

I suspect both Gmail and Yahoo! allow SMTP-authenticated mail using the respective login credentials for each service. Having said that, you should also be able to send email using the Plusnet SMTP server.
If you're connected to Plusnet at the time then you don't need a username/password, simply the server name 'relay.plus.net' should suffice. If you are outside of the Plusnet network then it should be possible to send using your Plusnet Member Centre credentials (and the same server address). SSL/TLS should be disabled because we don't currently support it. This means that any communication between your machine and the Plusnet server will be unencrypted so it's probably best kept to when you're using a trusted network.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ke1thd1an3
Dabbler

OK Bob, thanks. I shall give it another try. I had it going on day 1, then it started messing me about.
ke1thd1an3
Dabbler

OK Bob, tried that and still got the request for a SMTP password for (me) on relay.plus.net
Hopefully a picture is attached to this reply
ke1thd1an3
Dabbler

So what password is it asking me for?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Your Member Centre password, however the username referred to in that password prompt doesn't belong to your Plusnet account. You'll need to correct that. I'm not familiar with Sea Monkey but I'd have thought there's an option allowing you to use different outbound server credentials to the inbound ones?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ke1thd1an3
Dabbler

Thank you Bob, got there at last. Haven't done my Yahoo ones yet, but both Googlemail ones are OK, and the Yahoo ones aren't too important. do them tomorrow, hopefully.
It was that silly username in the password prompt that messed me up, Dunno how that got there, thanks for pointing it out.
One strange thing - Despite your warning of not enabling SSL/TLS, I had to select it. There was no way to enter my gmail password until I did. On enabling it, a pop-up asked me for my gmail password as I accessed the account, which I supplied and told the program to remember it. It is still being sent in plain rather than encrypted though.
Thanks again
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Yeah, GMail only does encrypted POP3 so you have it set up correctly.
Bob was likely to have been talking about Plusnet's own email service which does not use encryption.
ke1thd1an3
Dabbler

OK, thanks for info Jaggies.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Jaggies
Bob was likely to have been talking about Plusnet's own email service which does not use encryption.

I was, meaning you're fine to use SSL to collect mail from Yahoo! and Google. If you use Plusnet's servers for sending though, then you'll need to disable SSL under the outbound SSL settings of your mail client.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team