Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam emails trying to extort money.

FIXED
SteveM3
Fixes: 1

Scam emails trying to extort money.

I have been receiving scam emails from the same source trying to extort $800. Threats include malware, publish all my data on web etc.

How do I get my ISP ( Plusnet ) to block these emails currently at 58 from getting through to me. The response from Plusnet has been disappointing to say the least. Do I have to pay extra to be able to put these crime emails to Spam? Will that work? Can Plusnet not block out these criminals?

I am not going to pay them anything but there must be vulnerable people out there who might panic and pay them. Surely your ISP should try to stop this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Scam emails trying to extort money.

HI @SteveM3,

I'm sorry to hear that you are receiving spam emails. Please can you confirm whether these emails are coming into a Plusnet email address or if it's an email address from a third party email provider? If it's a Plusnet email address, I'd recommend that you adjust the spam filter settings. There is no cost for this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
SteveM3

These are not really Spam emails but are malicious Scam emails from criminals. They have been reported to Action Fraud but I have had no response from them.

This is a Plusnet email address and I would be grateful if you could give me instruction of how I could divert them automatically to Junk. Do I have to change my email address?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

Can you follow the below steps to try to stop the emails from coming in?

1. Login to your account from Here
  2. Click on the Manage Account tab
  3. Click on Manage My Mail tab
  4. Click on the Spam tab
  5. Scroll to the bottom and add their email addresses to the Blocked Addresses list
  6. While you're here feel free to configure the other options
  7. Click Update Settings

Let us know how you get on. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@SteveM3 

I would put my email address into this web site  https://haveibeenpwned.com/ The probability is that the underworld has got your email address and it is identified here, along with the source of the leak, if known, and whether the stolen data includes passwords.

I check mine if ever I get a suspicious email. The sure way to stop these messages is to change your email address. Over the years I have done this twice. It's a pain, especially if you don't know which companies you need to update, but I think that it's worth it. Others can't be bothered, it's a matter of choice as to whether you want to mess about with blacklists and filters or simply eliminate the possibility of the bad guys getting through to your Inbox..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SteveM3

Fix

Thanks for your help. My email address was compromised and the criminals have access to one of my passwords.

Going to take your advice and change to a new email address. thanks for your help.

SteveM3

This does not work probably as it was an old Madasafish email address which was taken over by Plusnet. I am surprised you can not stop the criminals from these Scams.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @SteveM3 

If somebody has your email address then it is unfortunately not possible for us to stop emails being sent to you. 

Do they come from the same address every time, or separate ones? 

It might be possible to blacklist the address from an account level at your side. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Baldrick1

@MasterOfReality 

Surely if an email address is changed  then emails to the old address will no longer be accepted by Plusnet's server and be rejected? Of course this would not apply if 'carch all' was enabled.

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @SteveM3 

Sorry I didn't realise you had a Madasafish email address. As far as I'm aware there's no filtering option on your account either online or via this side, however if you can send me a private message with your Madasafish email address and also the email address(es) of those you'd want to block I'd be happy to see if there's any way we can black list them for you.

Hi @Baldrick1 

That would work if it was Plusnet email address as they'd delete the mailbox and setup a new one.

Unfortunately for a Madasafish email addresses you can't get additional mailboxes unless you have a domain.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

@Gandalf 

Surely it's possible for the OP to ditch the Madasafish email address and have a Plusnet one?

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Of course, if they have a Plusnet account.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet