cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam email received today

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

Scam email received today

I couldn't find where to formally report this.  The email says as below.  Various errors betray its usual foreign origins.

Can someone from Plusnet confirm my conclusion that it's a scam email please?  People should beware:-

Server Message

Dear xxxxxmyemailxxxxxx

Our record indicates that you recently made a request to shutdown your email (xxxxmyemailxxxAnd this request will be processed shortly.

If this request was made accidentally and you have no knowledge of it, you are advised to cancel the request now

However, if you do not cancel this request, the your account will be shutdown shortly 
and all your email data will be lost permanently.

Regards.
Email Administrator

This message is auto-generated from E-mail security server, and replies sent to this email can not be delivered. 
This email is meant for: xxxxxxmyyemailxxxxx
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Scam email received today

That definitely looks like spam, I'd advise to ignore it.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Looks highly likely.

Was there a link to "cancel", they often scaremonger you into using it to a fake website and to give away personal details, passwords etc. to hack into your account. That's the problem, and the tactics they use.

If in doubt contact PN CS, but at least you didn't fall for it. They'll carry on sadly and move on elsewhere.
SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

Yes, the phoney 'Cancel' button was the gotcha. I never touch these things; just delete them straight away.  I thought I'd just flag it up as the unwary might have been gulled by it.  I'm always on 'amber' alert when using tinterweb, the only safe mode to be in!