cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP

antoniomulini

SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP

Does anyone know why PN still does not offer SSL encryption on IMAP, POP3 and SMTP connections?  It's, like, 2014 and stuff.
Thanks,
Tony.
210 REPLIES 210
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP

It's one of those 'watch this space' type of things Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
antoniomulini

Well, doing a search on the topic on these forums, it seems we've been watching this space now for >5 years.  I really think it's time a serious ISP should publish a committed date for the support of such a fundamental feature in this day and age.  How do we raise the profile of this with PN management?
Thanks,
Tony
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You forget space might be infinite, so could take a lot of watching Grin
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Hi Tony,
We recognise that SSL/TLS is something customers want us to implement. As I think has been mentioned before though, the work isn't as trivial as some may think and it needs prioritising alongside other deliverables.
The Community will be some of the first to know once we've something to share...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From that I think we can safely take it that we won't see it for at least a year.
OR
There's a major security breach and they have to implement it in a real hurry - that's the normal Plusnet way.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: jelv
From that I think we can safely take it that we won't see it for at least a year.

Ye of little faith Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Hi Tony,
We recognise that SSL/TLS is something customers want us to implement. As I think has been mentioned before though, the work isn't as trivial as some may think and it needs prioritising alongside other deliverables.
The Community will be some of the first to know once we've something to share...

Translation: Our load balancer vendors don't know how to do this for us.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
antoniomulini

Bob,
If you can't publish a date, at least give us a list of the deliverables that sit above this in the priority list.  That way we can tick them off in eager anticipation.  Who knows, maybe the user base might have something to say about that list?  Feedback is a gift, and all that.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I doubt it comes as a surprise for me to tell you that it's not quite as simple as that.
Priorities change, and the telecommunications industry is fairly fast moving as I'm sure most who post here understand.
I could give you a date (and I'd have a fair amount of faith in it), but should that date slip, I wouldn't want to be held accountable.
I've made that mistake before and I'd rather share news once we've something more tangible Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

antoniomulini

Bob,
Thanks for your continued attention to this.  I used to work in Telecoms and still work in IT and you're right, priorities change.  But one thing that doesn't (well, shouldn't) change is the relative priority of customer security, and compliance with market, regulatory and industry expectations in this area.  Take this from today's Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/29/londoners-wi-fi-security-herod-clause
Ignore the bits about stupid Londoners giving away rights to their first born and focus on this:
"In Westminster, 33 devices connected to the hotspot, with researchers startled to find that the popular POP3 email protocol revealed passwords in plain text when used over Wi-Fi."
33 PlusNet customers, then?  'Cos they don't have a choice.
It needs to be near the top of the list, don't you think?  Please feed this back into the PN management machine.
Thanks,
Tony
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the feedback Tony.
We're all aware of the implications and we are still committed to delivering.
I know everyone's been waiting an age for this, and we've made a few false promises in the past.
If you can hold out and be patient for just a while longer though, then you never know, Santa might just show up with an early Christmas present.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

A lump of coal? Cheesy
That's RPM to you!!
karjala
Dabbler

Great news! Have wanted to use PN e-mail away from home for a while now.
freemanblack

As a relatively new PlusNet customer (and old IT professional) who's getting round to making the transition from my old ISP's email servers I can't believe this is something PN doesn't offer like, you know, right out of the box...for years already. Good grief Cry