Use SSL: Yes
 Authentication: Password
 Server port: 587

and in Windows Mail (Outlook 2016) under Control Panel as:
  Outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net
  Type of encrypted connection: SSL/TLS
  Outgoing port: 465
  Require SPA: No

No idea why Windows won't accept port 587 given iOS will.

Also just to add my voice to the chorus of those imploring PlusNet to get a move on with updating their setup guide!

StephenJB2
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Re: SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP (again)

Excellent!  I looked here, more in hope than expectation, and after all this time we are up and running.  Well done Plusnet.

My settings for Outlook 2010 (yes, I know) are

Incoming mail server: mail.plus.net

Outgoing server (SMTP): relay.plus.net

More settings -> Advanced

Incoming server (POP3) port 995

This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL): ticked

Outgoing server (SMTP) port 587

Use the following type of encrypted connection: TLS

Seems to work.

Regards, Stephen

fronty
Dabbler

Oh wow they finally did it!

I've been hoping for this for years. The only reason I found out is I just set up my daughters new iPhone and it didn't barf or complain anywhere about insecure connections. So I did a quick google and found this post.

My daughter is only 11, so I do NOT want her email account on a cloud service like gmail, outlook, or even icloud, I want her email stored on my ISP so I have better control of her data (eg. I don't want it being parsed for targetted ads etc.). So I was really worried about her using unencrypted email over public wifi hotspots with her password being sent over the air in plain text.

So I am really glad Plusnet finally implemented encrypted email. Now I have just updated my android phone and that is working too, I had to change the IMAP port to 993 (server: imap.plus.net) and set encryption to SSL, that worked, and my outgoing server (relay.plus.net) to port 587 and TLS.

The guide that was linked to on page 1 of this thread is still out of date though.

mavison
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Yes, they have finally done it. But not publicised it, or even updated the email setup guide.

I have been using it for some time, but I am still a little confused with the SMTP settings. Our Android phones offer 'Security type' of None, SSL, SSL (Accept all certificates), TLS, TLS (Accept all certificates).

I suspect SSL means use the best of TLS and SSL it can, and TLS means use StartTLS.

I believe that using  'SSL' is better than StartTLS, but there is ambiguity in the naming.

For SMTP SSL defaults to port 465, and TLS to port 587.

Some confirmation, and definitive guide from PN would help to resolve all the supposition.