cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPF records for *.plus.com should include plus.net

tex
Grafter

SPF records for *.plus.com should include plus.net

When sending emails from anything@username.plus.com it usually goes to junk since there are no valid SPF records.

Unfortunately it is not possible to add wildcards on the top level domain plus.com, every username.plus.com needs to have a TXT record "v=spf1 include:plus.net ~all".

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: SPF records for *.plus.com should include plus.net

If I remember correctly you need to use madasafish,com to get that ie:

v=spf1 include:madasafish.com

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tex
Grafter

There is no option for me to add DNS records to my plus.com subdomain for emails. I am not using a custom domain.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Plusnet DNS does not support TXT records.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tex
Grafter

Yes, what I am suggesting is PlusNet add these specific SPF records for us so our emails don't get sent to spam.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The absence of an SPF record ought NEVER to be used as a justification for routing something to SPAM.  Do you have any clear evidence that it is SOLELY the absence of a SPF record which is routing items to SPAM?

When a SPF record IS PRESENT then if the relaying SMTP server does not match the SPF record, then that is fair grounds to suspect and treat as SPAM.  In the absence of a SPF record, the validation should fail-safe to "neutral".

Note that where SPF is implemented, and the email is 'passed on' via a forwarding service (for example fred.bloggs@nowhere.com auto forwards to Fredrick@somehwere.com) even if the sending address does have SPF set, if the forwarding service does not have SRS (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Rewriting_Scheme) enabled, then the end service might well reject the email as SPAM.

SRS was devised in order to forward email without breaking the Sender Policy Framework (SPF), in 2003

In a number of cases, including change of email address and mailing lists, an MTA accepts an email message that is not destined to a local mailbox but needs to be forwarded. In such cases, the question arises of who deserves to receive any related bounce message. In general, that is either the author, or a person or other entity who administers the forwarding itself.[2] Sending bounces to the author is administratively simpler and used to be accomplished by just keeping the original envelope sender. However, if the author address is subject to a strict SPF policy (-all) and the target MTA happens to enforce it, the forwarding transaction can be rejected.

In other words, SPF being enable could cause more issues than it solves.

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Where are you sending mail where it's always getting recognised as spam?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵